Top Speed

could use a tune up,

plugs

cap

wires

fuel filter x2, there is one near the engine and one near the tank

rotor

Seafoam can help (search for that one)

make sure timing is correct, I believe the correct spec is 8 deg BTDC, but i'm not 100% on that one

Tune the carb, unfortunately they seem to be a foreign language to most mechanics these days, but there are 3 basic screws, idle, primary and secondary, someone else will be able to chime in with more help there though.

Get rid of the 600 pounds of bricks in the back seat?

... Is that normal?

No.

Your Subie Still has its Original Carb? ... if So, let me Tell you Some Ideas that Might Help you:

Those Hitachi Carbs use a Vacuum Activated Secondary Stage, which Usually Fails at Certain Age... I Kindly Suggest you to Take Pictures of your Carb, Front and Behind; so we can Figure out what's Happenin' but I'm Almost Sure that its Secondary Stage is not Functioning.

Also a Good Tune Up with New Spark Plugs as Suggested, will Help A lot.

Maybe the Exhaust is Clogged too... How is the Cathalytic Converter?

Well... That's a Starting Point.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

Cant be...

My 1992 Loyale (EA82) after an oil change, new wires and plugs and a fuel additive to clean out the carb, raced against my friends Miata and hit 105 before I realized that I shouldve been going 55 :rolleyes:

Id suggest NOT doing that, and testing it on a track.

Even my 1984 DL (EA81) right now, doesnt have good plugs or an oil change (needs both badly :-\ ) on my way home from GDs the other night, Id be in the 65 and look down and the things hittin 80 and all Im feeling is an occassional shake on the wheel....

I would definately check your carb, your air filter and your oil... dont want sludge to slow you down :grin: (Lemme guess, 16? ...... Hehehe Yea!) love that commercial.

Not looking to spend more than I have to. Just want to be able to cruise 75 mph without flooring it on the uphills. I am not looking for too much am I? I think my engine needs a bit of work though since my first tank of gas netted me 24-25 MPG. Is that normal? 150 miles highway (65-80downhill), 70miles in town.

What to expect for mileage?

Not looking to spend more than I have to. Just want to be able to cruise 75 mph without flooring it on the uphills. I am not looking for too much am I? I think my engine needs a bit of work though since my first tank of gas netted me 24-25 MPG. Is that normal? 150 miles highway (65-80downhill), 70miles in town.

Do your full tune up including timing belts, tensioner, plugs, wires, fuel filters, and it should get about 28 if it's front wheel drive.

Hmm, why hasn't anyone questioned the throttle cable adjustment?

Jacob

holey moley your a friggen genious! I didn't think of that, even though when I bought my GL, the pedal was bent just so it was 1" off the floor. man it was dog slow on the drive home!

with the car off, floor it (only do this once or it may flood) and have a friend check to see if the throttle is all the way open.

Check the secondary throttle plate to see if it's stuck. If the car was driven conservatively around town for a while, the secondary can get stuck shut. Then check the vaccum diaphram to see if it will pull the throttle plate open when vacuum is applied to it (use a hand pump) make sure the vacuum line leading to it is in good condition and that the tube it connects to is clear to where it opens in the primary throttle bore.

Mine would top out at 100mph with 30" tires on it, so if you're having a hard time holding 70 with stock size, there's a problem.

I've seen 125 and had revs to go but I am running an intercooled turbo at 12psi in an RX.

I've seen 120 in 5th gear and had 6th gear to go, but I'm running an intercooled (and water-sprayed) STI at 17.5 psi. It was also uphill, both ways, in the snow, and I didn't spill the water or damage my dad's tofu I was delivering.

C'mon guys, let's get back on topic and try to help this guy.

Jacob

Edited by renob123

Not looking to spend more than I have to.

We all do Just want to be able to cruise 75 mph without flooring it on the uphills. not likely I am not looking for too much am I? yes I think my engine needs a bit of work though since my first tank of gas netted me 24-25 MPG. Is that normal? seems higher than normal 150 miles highway (65-80downhill), 70miles in town.

try fuelly for "average" fuel economy, mine is the gl-10

it has the ea81 with ea82 intake and carb, with the ea82T 3.7 PB 4wd

the engine makes more power than the clutch can handle, which doesn't mean much :lol:

which trans. and gearing you have will make a difference as to the "power" for going uphill or against the wind