Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Motor Swap / Wiring Harness Strategy

OK

So, I'm preparing to swap an EA82T into my gen 1 brat. Among other difficulties, the wiring harness issue is starting to haunt me. I'm not there yet, but I'm trying to plan ahead. I am trying to determine the best strategy for getting the motor and electricity to work together.

I have the entire harness from the EA82T wagon and all the existing wiring is still in place (and everything works!) in the Brat.

Should I:

1. Replace the entire Brat harness, body harness included, with the EA82T harness.?

2. Merge the engine harness with the Brat's dash and body harness?

3. something else.

Obviously the EA82T harness is about a cubic yard of wire and the Brat has a harness that would fit in a coffee can (I'm exagerating, but...)

The EA82T has a ton of stuff I won't be using (power locks, windows, ac, trip computer, etc) so I'm planning on cutting that stuff out or perhaps getting connectors involved to allow the re-integration at a latter date if I so choose.

what should I do? what should I do?

thanks

garner

http://www.ausubaru.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=conversions;action=display;num=1070470133

those guys are the best help, when i ask this question a hundred times i never get any response. i think all the guys that have actualy done it, dont hang out here anymore. im going to try it agiain this weekend. hopefully i will get to post how i got it running, on monday. as far as i can tell, you shouldnt reely have to touch your harness.

well, checking my post over there, i noticed yours. i would suggest forgetting about swaping the whole harness, headlights, and all that. but maybe use the engine harness, and the center part, under the dash, with the fuse block. then you can use the same fuses and relays as stock.

i only have the engine harness, and i will have less un used wires, but a little more soldering.

find an ecu pinout chart and schematics for both the ea82 and the brat

weed out what you dont need from the ea82 harness, cut off the wores and re-wire them if you have to, to shorten them

a lot of the same color wires will eventually junction to one wire

and a lot of the same colored wires betewwn the brat an ea82 will go to the same things, like the ignition circuit, battery power, and ground

i am doing an ej22 swap, and i just cut off all the ends i needed, then soldered them to the ecu after i cut it out. i left about 6 inches of wire off the ecu clips

study the pinouts and the schematics to get an idea, compare similarities before you cut any wires

so, in studying the diagrams a bit more, it seems a little less complicated than I'd thought. It is amazing how much the wire colors for various things are very similar if not the same.

I plan to use as much of the Brat wiring as possible. I wonder however, Am I going to need to swap relays/fuses etc for the newer fuel pump, ignition, etc. Or are these things pretty much the same in terms of electrical requirements.

I have photo copies of the EA82T wiring diagram and they are hard to read. Hopefully when I get my FSM from tailgatewagon, it will shed some more light on the issue.