Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The cost of maintaining your soob

I would like to know from Subaru owners how much you've had to pay for the typical repairs of your vehicle. i.e.;

Tune Up

Brakes

Timing Belt

Exhaust

Trans fluid change

Etc....

I wish there was a search option on this board so i could maybe,answer my own questions...

Most of us do it ourselves :lol:

So parts + our time :grin:

Uhhh on my Baja I think my major tune up was like $250 but I did some of it myself. my big BIG one with the timing belt and stuff will probably be more like $400-500 I bet :(

I always do the simple parts like plugs and air filter and stuff unless I am just really lazy.

I would like to know from Subaru owners how much you've had to pay for the typical repairs of your vehicle. i.e.;

Tune Up

Brakes

Timing Belt

Exhaust

Trans fluid change

Etc....

I wish there was a search option on this board so i could maybe,answer my own questions...

ummmm...........there totally is. if its not good enough google it and it usually shows up w/ a usmb thread anyway.

RV

Tune Up

Brakes

Timing Belt

Exhaust

Trans fluid change

Etc....

Tune up: Just sparkplugs; $10 for the NGKs and $45 for my local mechanic (I'm deathly afraid of cross threading the plugs so I pay someone else to do it). My '97 Impreza L wagon doesn't seem to need anything else other than air and fuel filters which I do myself (I buy OEM parts from Jason in Parts at 1-866-528-5282 and ask for the internet price discount).

Brakes: About $90 for pads front and rear; turn rotors $25 each; I do that work myself also. If I remember correctly, the cost for rotors came to $90 for the fronts the one time I needed to replace them.

Timing belt: $500 to the mechanic plus parts as needed (last time it was done parts came to another $575--again through Jason).

Transmission: I have a manual 5 speed so the cost of quality gear oil came to about $35. Another job I do myself. A bit messy but do-able.

Exhaust: 196K on the car and still the exhaust system that came with the car! I'm glad I don't live in NJ anymore!:)

I had to do everything to my car. Trans, carb, motor, brakes, suspention, axles, seats, radiator, disty, steering rack, ball joints and bushings, wheel bearings, exhaust, windshield. You don't want to know the total, (nor do I). But! I've done all my own work except for the rear wheel bearings and the exhaust, a few other things too for timeliness sakes and I'd bet I spent the same on all the rest as I spent on shop time. I got a fully dead, everything worn out, 82 wagon for $400 to start with and have been daily driving it for a few years now. It was a rust free cali car in (body wise)perfect shape, except the interior.(till it got totaled almost two yrs ago, but I'm still driving it, it just goes more places now:grin:)

All modifications included, (rear discs, lift, weber, tires and rims, accident parts; new doors, steering rack) 50% shop time, 4yrs of driving, I'd put a good guess out at $4000. With out the accident (hit and run) I'd have a close to show 82 wagon and I would have gotten the paint done for (some of)the money.

The good thing about Subarus, are they are completely easy to work on as compared to 99% of all other cars on the road. A alternator swap takes like 10 minutes, open the hood on a Subie, there it is. Open a hood of most any other car you see, and where is the alternator That tells you something right there.

I had to do everything to my car. Trans' date=' carb, motor, brakes, suspention, axles, seats, radiator, disty, steering rack, ball joints and bushings, wheel bearings, exhaust, windshield. You don't want to know the total, (nor do I). [/quote']

I was WELL over $7000 into my GL in purchase price ($2200 way back when) plus lots and lots of parts.... I think I got around 107K or use out of it before parting it out for around $1000 maybe.

Less than 10 cents per mile including purchase price if you do most of the work yourself...

Im at 18 cents a mile in two years and I am including tires in the math and If i did the one job that cost me $1300 it would have cost me 12 cents a mile. 22000 miles of personal use but i started at 210000 so that might include something into the maintenance calculation and the car wouldnt run when i got it.

Edited by Yo'J
mileage

I just dumped $650 on normal maintenance items. This included timing belt, all the idlers, water pump, cam and crank seals, all my hoses, all my belts, knock sensor, rebooting an axle, oil change, trans flush, plugs and wires, and swapping out the Duty B solenoid in the trans. I probably forgot something as well. This doesn't include the time I have spent resealing the sunroof and fixing all the interior stuff that was wrong with it as well (several hours, maybe days?). BUT, I don't have to worry about ANYTHING for 60k, so it's well worth it. 60k for me is a little over 2 years, so $650 every two years is fine by me, and I drive a lot :) WAY cheaper than a car payment :D This was also paying someone else to show me how to do it all, so next time it will only be about $450 in parts and a good day of my time.

Cheapest car I have owned so far when it comes to maintanence!