Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Accelerator cable issues

Went to Lowe's tonight and when leaving the acc. pedal dropped to the floor. Cable is toast. I guess 185k will do that. Anyway I'm kind of in need of a cable faster than the 7-10 days Pep Boys says it'll take and no one else can get it sooner. Think a yard one would work? Also how hard and what tools would be needed to get one off and home. I can squeeze in some time in the AM to go to a yard.

Oh yeah, on a side note. Cranking the idle up to 4000rpm will get ya to about 35-40mph on a straight away in a BRAT. The brakes aren't real happy but she got me home without a problem.:D

the throttle cable absolutly sucks to remove! it's high on the firewall so there is no room to work and you have to pinch the top and bottom tabs of this stupid little snap link and have someone pull it out from the engine compartment. It's really no fun. I've got an old one in the garage I'll give you, for a donation to the beer fund (or the board)+ shipping but it's out of my hatch that had 266k on it. I don't know if I could get it to you any faster then pep boys can get you a new one, but the offer stands. I'm in zip code 81650 if you want to check shipping rates.

you will need a 10mm wrench to remove the nut to get the cable off the little holder thing. You need to take the little end thing off of the carb, which can be a pain but it isn't that hard to do. Next you take off the little end thingy that is attached to the petal the same way to take it off the carb. You will need a 12mm to get the little tab things from the inside and a flashlight to be able to see up there. If the 12mm doesn't get it try an 11mm (the tabs are worn sometimes and a 12mm doesn't always get it). You will need to look and see if the tabs are on the bottom and top or if they are on the sides because I have taken out several of them and they seem to go either way. All you should need to do is put the wrench around the tabs to push them together and then you should be able to push the cable through the firewall. I have removed several throttle cables by myself and it is not really that hard once you do it a couple of times. I would come over and do it for you but it is quite a way to go just to help you change your throttle cable! I got a lot of practice when Austin's throttle cable broke and every time we went to the junkyard for a week or two I was on throttle cable duty so that he had plenty of spares! It is a pain in the butt but it is not really that hard assuming you can see and get at a good enough angle under the dash. Good luck!

• 12 years later...

Can anyone post a pic of how the cable attaches to the gas pedal?  Mine broke loose and I rigged it with a ferel but it appears it should go through the hole in the end of the pedal and then have a stop as well.  This is on a 1979 Brat.

Thanks,

Mike