Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater core question

I will have to go look at my pards 89 Loyale tomorrow. He had some heater issues related to the cheesy ratcheting door closer. His core is plugged also, and his wife forgot to put oil in it all summer. It is a tad noisier now, but still going 80 miles round trip a day. I will look and get back to you. I don't run one, sounds like the Skipper may.

I Just pulled the whole dash out of an 87 turbo wagon, including the heater core box and ventelation controls,

There is no water control valve on this particular hot box. Only a heater core with tubes going to it. Heat is contoled with a flapper door that sends air around the heater core with adjustments made to the hot/cool slider bar.

Hope this helps, if you want pics e-mail me. I have the unit out of the car so I can get you any angle.

Very well may be so. Bad assumption on my part to think an 86 is an EA-81. Part of the time warp us Brat guys get into. Having gone through similar circumstances not too long ago, I would have done anything to get out of removing the heater. Seems that the last time I looked at the Loyale, the hoses seemed to go into the back of the heater from the firewall. But it is a much newer car than mine, so I didn't think too much about it, except to figure out how to put the vent or cold air door back into operation. Didn't make the heater work any better, but at least it slowed the breeze down. My apologies if I got your hopes up. On checking the numbers, they seem to still have the same core, but after the early 80 Brat adventure, I wouldn't trust that either. Thanks for the heads up Skip.