Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Build!

1982gl4

Wiring is all done. I need to hook up my fuel pump, and program the MS, and she should be ready to run. I'm ordering wheel adaptors for the rear to get them spaced out to match the front. No word on my sway bars though :mad: calling them later today to find out where they are. I would post pics, but I have no internet at home, and wont for like another week. I'll update when I can...

Alright so i have internet back some updates!

All the wiring is DONEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even hooked up my fogs :)

2-30.jpg

I got a wide band o2, with a controller

And put my better wheels back on, and got new lug nuts.

1-54.jpg

This week I will be getting wheel adapters for the rear that are both hub and wheel centric, and try to get it running i gues

It's been said before but WOW I like that vehicle! You guys are gonna force me to build a Soob of my own yet. I just wish they were a little bigger all the way around it's tough working on the daughters wagon as big as I am.

Some updates!

Wheel adaptors are on the way I ordered them this week.

My sways are in, but don't fit due to my exhaust. I'll fix it when I can get it to work after it's running I can either space the sway down, or move the exhaust. Not that big of a deal either way. I added a place for my temp sensor from the ea engine. I also finished up my fuel lines and it has a fuel pump now. I just need to wire it. after that fluids will be added, and I will then try to get it running. I just have to do some vacuum lines and then TUNE. I can't wait :banana:

The rear sway!

8-9.jpg

The front

9-9.jpg

My fuel pump/mounting bracket using Mercedes radiator mounts

5-16.jpg

and my radiator hose adaptor/ temp sensor

4-21.jpg

Okay so I have all the fluids in now, and after dealing with a massive fuel leak I think I have everything sorted out. Right now I'm trying to program my MS, and I have no idea what I'm doing. There's a lot to learn here. Hopefully I can get it running in the next few days!!!! :banana:

They are from addco. It took them a while to get to my place (a few weeks) but the kits look very well built. I contacted an ebay seller ( I think it was never enough performance or something like that) that has the them, and got the pair for $250 shipped! The front is wicked heavy, and the rear, well it will have one now hahaha :banana:

Alright so I got some parts in today. My wheel spacers came in but the idiot that measure them, made them a bit wider than the front, but I don't think it's going to be too big of a deal. It will also help when I lower the rear, and add some RA mud flaps :D

4-24.jpg

5-17.jpg

6-13.jpg

7-7.jpg

I'm so sick of this computer crap :mad: I've spent all day on it, and still nothing. For some reason I can't get a tach signal to my MS on it's stim. And when I tried on my car something's now wrong with the starting circuit and it won't turn over, on top of that some of my wiring's screwy so one of the relays is not getting power from or too where it should. I'm feeling rather frustrated at this point. I wish I had just cut down a stock harness it would be running by now at least :banghead:

Walk away from it for a day or two. It honestly helps to do so.....

(would say go grab a beer or two, but you're not old enough) :grin:

Do like the look of the tire/wheel well alignment. Don't look like the tires are "hanging out". I hates that look........

Haha thanks, I walked away from it a bit, and think I have found the problem. for some reason my Ecu isn't getting a tach in signal. It's not that it doesn't have one it's that it's not reading it. SO I'm going to be contacting Matt at Diyautotunes (for like the millionth time, I feel like I'm nagging the poor guy) , and see what he thinks on the subject. Maybe I can get this figured out.... Turns out the starter issue was a pin that fell out of a connector on the steering column that was an easy fix. And for my wiring I had the two relay out puts mixed up. So those two problems are solved. Now I just have to figure out what the heck is up with the ECU.

Last year was bad enough moosens, I had all of that before I did all this work, I can't imagine what it will be like now....

As for updates, I have none. I'm back in school now so progress is going to be slow. But that's not the biggest of my issues. My ecu is messed up, and I have no idea why. It can't get a cam or crank input. And the person I contact for this works monday-friday, guess when I'm at school.... So getting this figured out is going to take a long time....

• 2 months later...

Alright, I cracked back into this one tonight. I need to get this running for my own sanity. I brought home the snap-on modis (scan tool) from work to use its Oscilloscope function. I have so far determined that the cam and crank signals are getting to the ECU, but there's no signal to the ignitor, fuel pump, or pretty much anything else because of this. Therefor my issue is in the ECu. It's programing, or there is a problem in the way it was put together (me) I'll be e-mailing Matt at DIYAutotune so I can get this figured out. I need to drive this next summer.

For the first time in a long time I feel like I'm heading in a positive direction with this :brow: I'm getting spark when I test the MS outputs, which leads me to believe I misadjusted the VR trim ports on initial assembly. I still have a bunch to do, like get the tach signal reading, calibrate some sensors, figure out values of things like my CTS, and the flow of my injectors, I also need to figure out how to program my IAC and get that working like it should. But now that i know it has the ability of putting out spark I'm hopeful.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the weekend trying to adjust the VR ports of my ecu, but got nothing I adjusted them all the way up and all the way down, and everywhere in between. There's still absolutely no output signals to my ignitor or anything else. I don't know my next move. :dead:

• 1 year later...

Bump from the dead. Decided I have spent far too much time away from this, and it is time to get it running. Today I pulled a 97 legacy into the shop and tore into it. It has been freed of its wiring harness. Up next I'll be trimming it down to put into the brat. I haven't given up on the standalone, but I decided against it in this project. I may need it for my legacy more than this. Great thing about my legacy parts car is that it's a brighton, so no options, and far less to cut out of the harness. 

1_zps978716a4.jpg

Gutted 
2_zpsc876a641.jpg

Time to dive into this again, didn't really want to start in on another harness this soon after my wagon spfi, but I feel like I should do it while i have that one fresh in my mind... 

3_zps8622917f.jpg
Edited by 1982gl4
  • Like 1

Probably next summer I would imagine, she's got a long way to go before it's tip top, but getting a harness and ecu that I have time to work with is a big step in the right direction. I may start stripping it down tonight. And pulling the MS out. Ideally I'd like to get that to run my spare legacy turbo so I have no down time if I decide to put it in my SS. I also need to figure out rear coilovers, and an e-brake. I may go the nissan caliper root. I also need to put my new gas tank in this, and I may put a stock harness back in the brat as well. Right now it has an 84 turbo harness which has way too much going on...

Started trimming the harness tonight. Seems to go pretty smooth now that I have done another one. I still need to get the diagrams from work for the ecu power and such. Headlights, wipers, radio, heater, and other dash stuff was removed tonight.