Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Build!

1982gl4

I'm watching with interest too. Looks like a cool project, I'm not sure even though I followed the link, why you are using the Megasquirt and additional control box. I gather it's to replace the original engine cpu and bypass a need for an original harness. Will the additional control box allow further custom tuning?

Are my assumptions correct. Can you direct me to further reference materials or links?

I'm watching with interest too. Looks like a cool project, I'm not sure even though I followed the link, why you are using the Megasquirt and additional control box. I gather it's to replace the original engine cpu and bypass a need for an original harness. Will the additional control box allow further custom tuning?

Are my assumptions correct. Can you direct me to further reference materials or links?

I'm using Megasquirt 3 along with the Megasquirt 3 Xpander (makes it more tunable), and the separate control box is called Jimstim (the one with the LEDs, and this allows me to test the system outside of the car, while not hooked to the wiring harness. Info can be seen here

http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/stimtesting.html

and this is just instructions on how to put everything together, and how to set things up

http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html

I worked on it some tonight. I hooked up three sensors Intake air temp, coolant temp, and the Throttle position sensor. I also started fitting my fans. If my internet was working I would upload photos but it's being really slow. I also found I can use my MacBook to run the tuning software, and got really excited about that, as I don't have to use my dad's work computer :banana:

Been doing wiring the last few days. So far I have hooked up a few sensors. I mostly have been working on how to hook up the coils and the IAC.

these are the wires I have left. The ones in the old battery tray are for V8s or larger engines, and a few are for options I wont be using such as NOS, Boost, and launch control, although I may hook up Launch someday for fun :rolleyes:

3-18.jpg?t=1301519676

And here are my E-bay fans it was around $40 for the pair!!

1-25.jpg?t=1301519676

As of tonight this is all the wiring I have left! I need to hook it to power, hook up the fuel pump (along with instal it and new lines) hook up the coil and the IAC to power, and then I have to figure out how to program this thing with my computer....

1-26.jpg?t=1301622985

I still need to hook up these relays I grabbed from an EJ harness I had kicking around.

5-11.jpg?t=1301622985

And this is pretty much the whole harness so far. I'm going to wrap it up after I get it running (the wires in the battery box in the bottom left corner of the photo are extras)

2-20.jpg?t=1301624250

I will let everyone know how it runs when it's together that's for sure!

As of today headers!!!!!!!!

2-22.jpg?t=1301867634

1-28.jpg?t=1301867634

And my dad built hoses for the radiator, but I didn't get any pics. I also tried to bleed the brakes, but something happened (I have no idea what) and the master cylinder no longer wants to work so I think I'm going to retro fit a legacy one is as I have a spare and don't have to pay for it!

Well I came home again last night to try to get bleed my brakes, and no such luck. I ended up taking the master cylinder out and trying to bench bleed it, and could not get a single drop of fluid to go through it. This baffles me :confused: I have never seen anything like this in a Subaru. I even ended up taking it all apart just to see if it was sticking, and everything was free, and all of the seals were good, just no fluid?! Oh well, Looks like it's time to go take that outback one off :grin: Oh and I was trying to use dot 5 because the whole system is new, except the rear calipers and the master, but after seeing this happen I'm not sure that was such a good idea? Anyone have any words of advice?

Well I came home again last night to try to get bleed my brakes, and no such luck. I ended up taking the master cylinder out and trying to bench bleed it, and could not get a single drop of fluid to go through it. This baffles me :confused: I have never seen anything like this in a Subaru. I even ended up taking it all apart just to see if it was sticking, and everything was free, and all of the seals were good, just no fluid?! Oh well, Looks like it's time to go take that outback one off :grin: Oh and I was trying to use dot 5 because the whole system is new, except the rear calipers and the master, but after seeing this happen I'm not sure that was such a good idea? Anyone have any words of advice?

DO NOT use a Legacy/Outback master cylinder on your (mostly) stock braking system. I tried it. The pedal feel was awesome, but actual stopping power was decreased to the point of being dangerous. NoahDL posted something about the physics behind it, but the basic idea is that the pressure drops, so your pads aren't squeezing against the rotors enough.

Jacob

My system isn't really stock. I have the rear disc, and the front calipers are outback two pots. But that does make sense i guess. Would it help to use to use the booster as well? Or do they not fit? And if not what should I use the stock Brat one or is there an upgrade of some sort.

My system isn't really stock. I have the rear disc, and the front calipers are outback two pots. But that does make sense i guess. Would it help to use to use the booster as well? Or do they not fit? And if not what should I use the stock Brat one or is there an upgrade of some sort.

I don't know of any common MC upgrade. I rebuilt mine, and it's ok. In theory, if you used a bigger booster along with the bigger MC, you would be fine. Shawnw has a post on adding a bigger booster to an EA82. It'll probably take some chopping, which I'm betting you're comfortable with:)

Jacob

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found a new master cylinder, $45 later I should be able to bleed my brakes. Tomorrow I'll put it in and hopefully get it stopping. I haven't really done much else on the old girl, I have been busy working on my legacy wagon and getting my summer toys out :rolleyes: I did however find a place to make me a driveshaft should be pretty inexpensive by the looks of things.

More progress today, I got the heater core hoses made, and started hooking up battery cables, I also bolted up the intake, after having it flop around on the black for too long, next week I will probably try to finished up the wiring, and get the crankcase ventilation all hooked up!

A lot of stuff is going on in this corner of the engine bay at this point.

5-12.jpg?t=1303091410

Haha that's awesome :grin: Mines out of an SR5 so it's leather wrapped! It's just so much nicer then the factory Subaru one that I had. I'm have troubles with my shift linkage hitting the stereo, so I may have to do some more cutting/bending to get it to fit right Maybe shortening the lever would be a good idea as well....

Haha that's awesome :grin: Mines out of an SR5 so it's leather wrapped! It's just so much nicer then the factory Subaru one that I had. I'm have troubles with my shift linkage hitting the stereo, so I may have to do some more cutting/bending to get it to fit right Maybe shortening the lever would be a good idea as well....

My shifter ended up being further back. How is your stereo mounted? Your shifter may be fine with a slant console for your stereo, if you wanted to go that route.

I like how a normal Legacy shifter sits. It's up a bit so I don't have to reach as far to shift. Since you're cutting and such anyway, you could probably set it up to need less throw, though.

Jacob

Mine has a ton of throw right now, it hits my console on 1-3-5, and hits the shift boot console while shifting into 2-4 and reverse. And I have the stock stereo in it, if I ever do anything I'll just put it in the glove box to keep the stock look I have going so far. I'm not sure how I could get it to be less I have changed out some of the bushings, I still need to do a couple more, but they shouldn't be causing that much play back and fourth.

Mine has a ton of throw right now, it hits my console on 1-3-5, and hits the shift boot console while shifting into 2-4 and reverse. And I have the stock stereo in it, if I ever do anything I'll just put it in the glove box to keep the stock look I have going so far. I'm not sure how I could get it to be less I have changed out some of the bushings, I still need to do a couple more, but they shouldn't be causing that much play back and fourth.

Mine has surprisingly little throw. How did you handle the rear mount? Keep in mind that my work blocks your pics, so if you posted it, I wouldn't know.

I'd change every last plastic/rubber piece in there. I did that when I went to the 5-speed D/R, and it helped tremendously.

After that, you'd probably be looking at changing the mounting point of the two rods to reduce the throw. My first guess is that you'd want to mount it down the shifter a little further.

Jacob

The rear mount is just tacked in place right now, I flipped it upside down and mounted it under the shift surrounding. seams to work pretty well. I just have to switch out the two bushings closest to the trans, as they are non existent, and I'll do a little research, and see if I can find away to shorten the the throw in this beast.

*Edit* That was way easier to find than it should have been.

1-31.jpg?t=1303156838

You take some out of the top, and add it to the bottom by the looks of things.

Edited by 1982gl4

• 2 weeks later...

After days of doing homework, papers, and other school related shenanigans, I got to work on the Brat for the fist time in what feels like a month :banana: I got the fans mounted up and ran wires for them. I also put my grill all back together and actually got it to fit right (it usually keeps popping out of place after I get it all together) I also put fog lights on my brush guard and fitted that back on for fun, I needed some time away from the wiring :confused: I'll add photos when I can find my usb cable for my camera.

Edited by 1982gl4