Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reman'd Head... Before Install

I'm messing around with a '89 Dakota I picked up a couple months ago. I bought it knowing it was overheating. It smokes on startup, too. Anyway, I bought this head from JC Enterprises (ebay) , and I'm about ready to install.

I have never installed a mail order head before. This one is complete, and advertised as "ready to install"....

My question is, should I re-torque the cam bearing caps? What about assembly lube? It looks kinda dry. Anything else I need to do to this head before install?

The job is straight forward, as far as the install, and, I'm doing all the other stuff, such as timing kit, new water pump, other normal stuff. I just don't want to miss something. Any thoughts?

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5104-1.jpg

Edited by markjw

It it were me - I would remove the cam caps (keep them in order), lube the cam journals, rockers, and lifters with assembly lube (I use Redline assembly lube), and then retorque the cam caps. That's what I do on the heads I get back from the machine shop.

Then you will want to clean the head gasket mating surface with acetone or lacquer thinner (my preference) to insure it is 100% oil free (same with the block).

Obviously anti-seize your plugs when you install them.

After installation I would dump about 1/2 of a quart of the new oil over the cam and rockers, etc. Then install the valve cover and fill normally.

Otherwise it looks good and there's not much to do there!

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Thanks for the guidance, guys...This short box, standard cab mini truck is about as impractical vehicle as any I have ever owned, but it's a cheap and interesting diversion from the subi's I have been wrenching on, non-stop, for the past several yrs. I'll post up some pic's when I get it looking good.

• 1 month later...

Here's some Before and After pic's. The head install went pretty good. It runs well. I did some front end work and muffler work, too. Found some new exterior parts and used up two cans of Bumper Coating spray paint. Oh yeah, how about those sweet hubcaps. :brow::brow:

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg