Durania

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the update for the week.

Friend and I have plans to meet a guy in Asheville on Sunday to trade to an STi trunk. Yes, the one with the huge wing. I know, I know. I will catch some flack for the huge wing. I have been in love with the huge scoop, huge wing look since I was 16.

Previous owner sent me this picture, consider it a teaser.

Oldie.jpg

Sorry to hear that man.

This car "is" my dream car too. I never thought I would own it either, not at my age. It just seemed like the right time to jump on one. Heck, they aren't making any more of them this body style.

I still need another EA81 in my driveway to stick next to this thing and my 95 "OutSack, War Wagon".

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update that I forgot to post from back in early March. The PO ran camber plates that caused a TON of unnecessary wear on certain suspension components. Pulling into work's parking lot one day at a slow speed, I was getting a real bad popping sound. Turns out, the spring was trying to turn causing the bound up sound. The car sat for a week or so while I gathered thoughts, purchased a set of spring compressors and tackled the job.

I ordered new group-n tophats, new conical washers, new upper spring perch, and a new upper rubber seat.

The tophats are really hard and have a nice Bridgestone emblem imprinted on the top.

GroupNTophat.jpg

The bearings were completely shot in the old ones and would not turn smoothly.

The carnage, used vs new.

IMG_20110312_102608.jpg

wow, i guess though, if the tophat bearings won't turn, then something needed to turn, in your case, the shock and spring still turned.....wow. scary stuff to come upon.Miles on the car at failure?

any warranty issue on this maybe?

Post #21 pn page 3, i see you already swapped tophats at some point. maybe this is related? everything a-ok at that time?

wow, i guess though, if the tophat bearings won't turn, then something needed to turn, in your case, the shock and spring still turned.....wow. scary stuff to come upon.Miles on the car at failure?

any warranty issue on this maybe?

Post #21 pn page 3, i see you already swapped tophats at some point. maybe this is related? everything a-ok at that time?

Everything was a-ok at that time. I guess I didn't inspect the tophat bearings that came with the car whenever I swapped out the PDE camber plates. Thing steered fine up until that one morning turning into work.

Miles on the car at failure was 72,000. It is an 05 after all and I am sure the dealer would just laugh at me.