Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru running gear swap

MPGvan

has anyone done a complete subaru 4x4 running gar swap?

this caught my attention.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Facelnut/Right.jpg

he welded a metro body to a jeep, however, the wide frame rails and cross member on a metro look to line up very well with a brat :) i would like to do this very soon, i will post measurements and pics soon.. the only problem i can see is sliding the (complete) running gear as (one unit) under the metro.. once i have the running gear in place the rest should be a breeze..

comments are welcome

the METRO is also unibody construction

it should be Farly easy to double stack scribe/fit and weld the subframes together once they are in place :lol::grin:

it will take a lot of overhead welding/cutting and grinding to properly mate the subframes but i feel the finished product will look factory banana :banana:

i want to use stock subaru 13s to keep the gearing low with a generous lift to clear the stock fenders with (minimal trimming/flaring) . the 13" spare tire will mount nicely on the rear of the metro for that factory look..lol

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Facelnut/Right.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you literally need a long rectangular frame.if that car is as flat on the bottom as it looks.even if it is not, keeping a flat profile will serve you for your lift.

i mean a long rectangle.with some mounts off for the engine , trans, and the front of the rear diff.

flatprofileframe-1.png

kinda like this,

flatprofileframe2.png

excuse the crude drawings....the truck link was good,but for you it is even simpler...

cheers,b

Edited by monstaru