Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto transmission questions. Anyone please!

1998 Impreza 2.2. 120k on the odo.

Central diff or duty C solenoid blew at about 100k due to whatever the hell happened.

Car has been driven pretty hard for the last 30k.

Upon doing regular maintenance I choose to use Napa ATF and do a fluid and filter change. It has been about 10k miles since then. I have always noticed a somewhat jerky shift but I read that Subaru smoothened out the shifts in the 1999+ models. The fluid change did nothing and it actually started slipping or taking a little longer to shift from 2nd (or was it from 1st?). Now when I got on it recently it slipped a little and I decided to add Lucas anti-slip. I put half a bottle into it and it seems to not like it too much. It doesn’t seem to slip too much now but it seems lazy now. I have always kinda noticed that if I selected 2nd on the shifter it would always seems to slip a little?

I guess it is time to change the tranny BUT how do I know what other cars trannies will fit my rear diff and electrical connectors?

I mean can I use a 98 LGT tranny and will the final gear ratio be the same? Will the electrical connectors plug right in?

How about a 1994 Impreza?

A 2002 Saabaru?

A 2001 RS?

Does anyone have a chart for cross referencing the electrical plug and final drive?

What trannies will work with my stock rear diff and my stock electrical plug? I just want plug and play and have little time and money to play games by swapping anything else.

Thankyou.

:(

People around here Know a lot more than me of Subies. Your trans is pr1obably a 4EAT and thare are many that will fit. Your tires have to be within 1 /4" or less rolling diameter F-B (1/16" really). For outside that wears the duty "C" and then ..I'll shutup

Thanks, I was wondering what part really wore out with odd tires. Does that mean an under-inflated tire could blow the duty C too? Why do we put up with these loud, rough cars?:confused:

you should be able to use an auto trans 95 - 98, maybe 99 from a ej22, ej18, impreza or legacy. stay away from the ej25.

the phase 2 trans was introduced in '00, 99 for the outback, so you can't go past 99.

i'm not as familiar with imprezas, but you can check your final drive ratio, ring and pinion part number and ratio, at http://opposedforces.com/parts .

Edited by johnceggleston

you should be able to use an auto trans 95 - 98, maybe 99 from a ej22, ej18, impreza or legacy. stay away from the ej25.

the phase 2 trans was introduced in '00, 99 for the outback, so you can't go past 99.

i'm not as familiar with imprezas, but you can check your final drive ratio, ring and pinion part number and ratio, at http://opposedforces.com/parts .

So I can get any tranny from 1995-98 Imp/Leg?

Why not 1999+?

What is wrong with the 2.5 transmissions? I mean shouldnt they be the same?

Why not a 1993-1994 tranny? OBD1 no go with my OBD 2's TCU?

Thanks for the link by the way; however, I am unable to find the gear ratios.

Is your AT Oil Temp light flashing? Pull the codes and see if it's just a solenoid. Will save you many dollars.

No flashing. I assume that the solenoids are just inside the oil pan? What is so hard and expensive about just finding a lower mile tranny and taking a few hours to swap in?

Edited by ChrisRT

So I can get any tranny from 1995-98 Imp/Leg?

Why not 1999+?

What is wrong with the 2.5 transmissions? I mean shouldnt they be the same?

Why not a 1993-1994 tranny? OBD1 no go with my OBD 2's TCU?

Thanks for the link by the way; however, I am unable to find the gear ratios.

in earlier trans the final drive ratio is wrong. but if you do some research you may find that a trans from a turbo car will match, i'm not sure. in 99 they introduced the phase 2 trans in the outback, not sure about the imprezas. it may have been 00 , but they do not match, the wiring harness is different.

the ej25 has a different final drive ratio.

look under the ''train'' heading for the ring and pinion gear ratio.

I assume that the solenoids are just inside the oil pan? What is so hard and expensive about just finding a lower mile tranny and taking a few hours to swap in?

some one who knows the inner workings of an auto trans will have to answer that, but my guess is that it is not the solenoids that are failing.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks, I was wondering what part really wore out with odd tires. Does that mean an under-inflated tire could blow the duty C too? Why do we put up with these loud, rough cars?:confused:

Actually, mismatched tires do NOT cause the duty C soleniod to wear out.

Mismatched tires cause the multi-clutch pack in the AT to wear out prematurely.

Actually, mismatched tires do NOT cause the duty C soleniod to wear out.

Mismatched tires cause the multi-clutch pack in the AT to wear out prematurely.

I was thinking that. It makes plenty more sense.

About not using the Ej-25 transmissions... I should be able to use like a Legacy Outback 1998 tranny if I switch my rear diff with the correct ratio diff? Electrics should plug right in right?

Thanks a bunch by the way. Subaru community >standards.

About not using the Ej-25 transmissions... I should be able to use like a Legacy Outback 1998 tranny if I switch my rear diff with the correct ratio diff? Electrics should plug right in right?

yep, same trans, different gearing. grab the rear diff to match. technically you can swap the front diffs to retain your original impreza gearing but that's a huge job and one most people avoid.

you're fairly certain the trans is bad?

If you wanted to try a fluid I'd ditch the lucas and use Auto Trans X. Typically additives aren't good, but it works wonders on the 99 era delayed engagement issue.