Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm having problems calibrating the compass on the rearview mirror of my 2002 legacy gt limited. I'm following the directions in the manual -- holding button to calibrate then driving in circles -- but definitely not working.

Anyone else encountered this problem or have any ideas on fixing? Will only say west or southwest. Dimmer seems to work.

Thanks

Even if it's uncalibrated it should still display all points on the compass not just west & south west.

Have you tried disconnecting it for a while? I'm not sure it there is a procedure for "resetting" the memory, but maybe 24 hrs without power would do it.

just so you know, some procedures are hard to get right, this doesn't seem like one of them in my experience. they usually are straight by the book and simple.

if it doesn't have homelink and you have a remote control garage consider this a chance to upgrade to the one with homelink, they're awesome.

Thanks for feedback. I'll try disconnecting, if I can figure out how to do that. Not much of a "car guy."

I don't think there are any magnetic things near it. I've even been driving out into the middle of huge, abandoned parking lots to try to calibrate, just in case of buildings or other things influencing the calibration.

Thanks for feedback. I'll try disconnecting, if I can figure out how to do that. Not much of a "car guy."

There's a plug on the back of the mirror. You can see it though the windshield, just press the little catch tab and remove the plug.

I had that problem on my 2002 WRX a few years back. I was always getting lost (this was before I had GPS for my car) until I realized that the compass was no longer working properly. The dealership replaced it free of charge and informed me that Subaru had a whole batch of bad compass mirrors in 2002. I hope you can find an honest dealer and hopefully they'll fix it even out of warranty.

Now I get lost with my GPS because the GPS is sometimes buggy:dead: