Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Searched and Searched but cant find anything

I need to replace my cv joint(well cv inner boot buy might as well replace the whole axcel) and I do not!! want to pay $115 for them to replace the boot at the local cv joint shop.

The joints are around $60 at autozone and I want to do it myself.

I also have extra cv joints off my parts car, should I go ahead a use one of those or get a new one?

ok now ill get to the point, Is there a write up or intructions on how to do this I have a general Idea, I can get the wheel hub and all that off and I know alittle about the pin thing on the inner part of the cv joint...but I would rather be better informed on this before I take on this task.

Also I have searched.

SJ

If you want to rebuild it yourself, this is the write up you were looking for:

Axle Rebuild[/link]

Then when you're finished rebuilding it, you can remove and replace using this write up:

Axle replacement for EAS series cars

Both are from the USRM (Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual)

Good Luck and Enjoy!

thank you man! I was using the wrong words to search.

SJ

is it making any noise? i'd just reboot it and call it a day. or use one of your others.

both my axle boots busted after i lifted my XT6 and drove it 4,000 miles to colorado. by the time i got back they were vibrating really bad (stuffing grease in at every gas stop) and making noise. rebooted with new grease and they're quiet and smooth as a whistle now for over a year. :lol:

so...i'd rather have the original subaru joints in there than some cheap junk aftermarket. after market axle stuff isn't known for quality.

Edited by grossgary

thank you man! I was using the wrong words to search.

SJ

I've learned to search the repair manual section before I try to search the Older Gen forum. it's divided up into sections that are easier to search and will have fewer posts.

Then, if I can't find it there, I check the Older Gen forum.