Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Different Injectors, Does it matter?

Just read threw all this injector stuff as my wifes legwag 90 manual finally had an injector prob, knowing nothing about it, except they are kinda pricey went to the yard pulled the right side fuel rail with both injectors red tops off a 94 auto, installed the whole piece and it fired right up idles smooth as it should runs as it should, to soon for mileage numbers but no ECU swap and it looks as if its good to go, Subaru legos are plug and play............G

oh ya 14bucks out the door!:burnout:

• 2 months later...

I just got through reading this thread and I am not sure but what years of injectors are compatible (there is a lot of info in this thread hard to absorb it all)

It sounds like 90-94 2.2 is compatible auto or Manuel. What other years are compatible for the 2.2

I have a full set of red top auto injectors out of a 95 impreza and would like to know what they will fit in without ecu swap

Btw good thread you guys should make this a sticky

Edited by mikaleda

• 1 year later...

I know this is like beating a dead horse, but in the beginning of this post, it was stated that I could simply swap the injectors and rails (red top) and go. But later, it says that I need the ECU as well. I have only found the red tops in MT cars, and on a Ford, at least, you absolutely cannot swap a MT ECU into an AT car. The idle speed tables and timing tables are completely different between the two.

Please clarify this for me, as Ive found dozens of red top injectors and rails, but NON of these cars still have an automatic. Thanks!!

Injectors don't care what ECU they're hooked to. They all run on 12V. If they plug in and fit in the rails they'll work.

I've swapped red to grey and back again in two different cars (one auto, one manual) not a bit of difference as far as I could tell.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just a little update on this thread.

I ran across a problem on the Facebook side of the USMB.

Short story the ecu in their 94 legacy was bad and causing a no start. I sent them a 1990 legacy ecu and the car would start, but would not run right. In short we found that the redtop injectors are slightly bigger and require slightly different flow rates than the gray, black tops.

So to run redtops and get the best out of them you should swap to a plastic MAF sensor and ecu out of a 92-94 legacy that originally had redtop injectors.

My 86 ej22 swapped hatch has a 90 legacy harness with the 90 maf, 91 non blink code ecm, 99 ej25 red top injectors, runs great. I started out with a 90 ecm and grey tops but i had one go out so i swapped over to red tops off a 91(plastic injector nozzels). Ran great for quite awhile then the ecm said it needed a iac and ran on 3 cylinders at idle. I ended up replacing the ecm with the 91 after fooling around with the iac. Again ran great for quite awhile then a red top failed which i replaced with one ej25 red top(long stainless injector nozzel). Kept driving it like that until i put in a rebuilt ej22 and just used the ej25 red tops which are still going strong.