Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed d/r into brat

bratclay

I have a 4speed d/r that I was goin to put in my turbo brat. Everyone here is sayin go with a 5 speed d/r. Do I need to change bell housin on the motor from a ea82 onto my ea81t to mount a 5 speed d/r? Also I only have the linkage from the 4 speed d/r cuz it our parts car. I would need the 5 speed transfercase linkage and lever too rite? I like the look of it better anyways. Does anyone have a lever and linkage lyin around?

Thanks for every ones help.

The tranny will bolt right up to the motor. You can't just change the bell housing anyway. You will need to modify/make a crossmember. And the linkage can be modified to work. You will also need a 5 spd drive shaft, which means you'll need to weld on center bearing mounts. This swap has been done may times, and there are write ups on it.

the 5 speed is actually shorter then the 4 speed. I think you'll have to have a custom drive line built. If I'm not mistaken the BRAT and Hatch have to have a custom drive line & the wagon can use the 5 speed drive line (if you weld the carrier bearing in place).

Here's the one I had made for my Hatch:

dsc01029l.jpg

dsc01033fc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had a custom clutch made for my brat swap. I only had a 4sp d/r so I had some kevlar put on my clutch and resurfaced cuz I didnt have the 5sp d/r parts car to go with. Well just today we got a 88 with 5sp d/r. So now I have a built clutch for the 4sp but I wanta do the 5sp cuz everyone says that its alot better.

So can someone tell me exactly what I need to do. Which flywheel do I need. The 4sp or the 5sp. Cuz I know they are offset differently. Cuz If I have everything I need from my parts car I will just do the 5sp swap instead. I do know Ill have to find a way to get the center carrier mount on my brat.

Thanks for all your help. Subi gang

Hey there:

Haven't posted in a long time. You should look here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49952

There is tons of info on this swap, just search in the transmission section of the usmb repair section and you should contact Jerry. His kit is great and worth the $.

I've got 25k miles on my ej swap and did the 5sp at the same time using his kit. Way better than the 4sp. Good luck.

Daniel

Jerry's prices can't be beaten. I just got my 5sp D/R into my 86 Brat with Jerry's help and could not have imagined doing it myself. I mean I could have but it would have cost me more in materials and lots of time to do it.

Good luck and watch out for the rual range actuator rod, it rotates in the housing and if it is 180° off it won't shift out of 4WD, ask me how I know :rolleyes: