Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Technically, the XT6 - ER27- in '88-91 qualifies, I believe.

Next up was the SVX-EG33 -'91-97.

Then the 2001+ Outback had the EZ30 depending on the trim (LL Bean, Limited, etc.).....which is probably what you're after?

Td

Edited by wtdash

Well, the Brat is doing ok but it;s not going to last forever as a daily. As it is the first Subi I have owned, I really don't know what would work better for what I need.

My route has quite a few long hills and I need something that can handle them better without having to step on it.

problem isn't cylinders or mountains. brat has what 80 hp? newer 4 cylinders have almost twice that.

as long as you don't get an EA81 or EA82 you'll have a huge performance increase.

the EJ18 can be a little weak, though it's still a %50 increase over the brat, get one with a MT if you do.

problem isn't cylinders or mountains. brat has what 80 hp? newer 4 cylinders have almost twice that.

as long as you don't get an EA81 or EA82 you'll have a huge performance increase.

the EJ18 can be a little weak, though it's still a %50 increase over the brat, get one with a MT if you do.

I own two Leggies, both with 4 cylinders, with automatic trannies . They have plenty of power climbing hills. You will find a lot more 4 cylinder Subies for sale verse the 6 cylinder model. Test drive a 4 cylinder, I think you will be surprise with the peppy performance.

you're not fooling us rooster, there aren't any real hills in Indy!?! :lol: j/k

if the original poster is asking about "earliest year 6" then that's either cost motivated or he likes older stuff. which makes a big difference since of the 6 cylinders prices are $500-$2,000 for the XT6, wide range for the SVX, and $7,000-$10,000 for the newer H6 stuff.

he'll have to clarify i guess but i was assuming it's cost related.

it's not hard to get an early legacy/impreza for really cheap - actually basically next to nothing if you can do any work on them - find one needing bearings or exhaust or a timing belt, trans, etc.

I want to stay with a Subi if at all possible but I do not have alot of money to throw into another car. Most of the newer cars are out of my price range and i'm hoping to find a deal akin the the Brat ($200 running) Also, since I have spent alot of time working on my 81, I have gotten used to dealing with it.

If all else fails and I cannot find something I will likely throw the Brat in the shop and get the engine worked on, the floorboards shored up and the other issues fixed as well.

earlier model Legacy is the way to go.

got my 1990 for $200 running - did have to throw some stuts at her, and fix the trashed exhuast from the po running around on blown air struts, but still...

easy car to work on, non-interference motor, plenty of power plus decent gas mileage and a fairly nice ride - for a "small" car.

go for a 1990-1995 subaru legacy, 2.2 135 hp.

the first example of a 6 cyl subaru has 140, so you are not missing much.

legacy is dime a dozen and you can get any complete car, either running, or needing some timing belt or axle all day long for 500 to 1000, or even less sometimes.

+1 On the gen one lego! I just got my first one three weeks ago for $650 needing a door and an alternator ( I had both) It's been awesome! Even being an auto (which i usually hate) it's surprisingly peppy and gets decent milage. It can be a little annoying on the highway because the auto likes to shift a lot up hills, but with a 5speed the thing would be amazing.

-SB