Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Yeah, pretty near empty. Didn't take note of gallons filled, but it was starting to gurgle in the filltube.

I run the low-grade gas in all of the vehicles. Rarely bump it up to mid-grade.

Popped the DS timing belt on the way to work this morning.

Luckily, I was in an area where I could pull way off the road.

Rich just happen to be a few minutes behind us, so we made it to work on time.

Called a wrecker to tow it to the shop. No problem there.

Major problem getting the tow bill paid.

3 different cards from 3 different banks were denied.

Had to make a trip with the driver to an ATM an pull money out of the account what pays the HHR loan.

Was not a good Monday....................

Got spare belts and tools loaded in Chris's LaSabre. Hoping to get it fixed during lunch tomorrow.

Got the parts I ordered, so some wrenching shall be done this weekend.

Won't be able to do a reseal on the oilpump though. Seems I ordered the wrong seals. Could of sworn I clicked on the proper one, but a search of the part number on the order slip came up with an EA81 kit, not the EA82 one. Correct seal was listed right below the one I ordered, so I hit the wrong order button apparently.

But why they have the EA81 kit listed with the EA82 one is confusing.

Need to order some more parts, so I'll make sure to get the correct seal kit for the pump. Some new timing belt are on the top of the list, as I have no clue as to the age/mileage on the belts on the engine now. They are the ones that were on the engine before I swapped it in.

No more drips from the waterpump. Nice, but makes one wonder.

I do have a spare "newish" pump here, but no gasket. Thinking some Ultra Black will work though.

Had thoughts of swapping out all of the interior for the Brown this weekend, but it seems Del has made her own "to-do-it" list for me.

Thanks Dear.............

I'll get that stuff done 1st, then it's on to some car wrenching.

• 3 weeks later...

Got more parts in as of this past Thursday, so,,, hopefully I'll get some wrenching done this weekend.

Been pulling 12 hour shifts at work the past few weeks, and did an 8 hour last Saturday. Was one whooped puppy last weekend, so no wrenching done.

To do list is;

reseal/install oilpump

replace waterpump, heater hose, return pipe o-ring

replace oilpan gasket

replace cam cover gaskets

replace T-belts, idler, tensioners.

I ordered new bearings for the idler and tensioners thru the shop, got them swapped out yesterday. $30.00 well spent.

Our Supplier wanted to charge me shipping for them. The Purchasing Clerk gave them a piece of his mind over that. The shop drops a few grand each week on bearings from them, so why charge me for shipping???

Still need to pickup new accessory belts, and the 90* hose for the heater line off the waterpump, but that's on this mornings shopping list, along with oil and filter.

Got the bushings for the strut rods ordered, along with some loaded calipers for the rear brakes. Rotors will be ordered next week.

Don't really need the new calipers/rotors yet, but figured I might as well do them while I'm doing the rear bearings/seals as they are the original XT6 ones from the factory and have seen quite a few miles.

Weekends wrenching hasn't progressed as planned.

Mother Nature was kicking butt outside, as well as mine.......

Feeling somewhat better today, but not that good.

Have managed to reseall the replacement oilpump, dug the replacement waterpump out of it's hiding spot, and got a few other items ready for install.

Rain and wind with quite a few bouts of pea size hail all day Saturday. Cool temp and some light drizzle at times Sunday.

But it was expected really. Opening weekend of the County Fair, so why not.....

I have 2, ER27's sitting in the garage myself. Really thought of putting one in the Wagon. The whole thing of "where to put the radiator" is what really stopped me from doing so.

Supposedly, we're only working 10 hour shifts as of today. So,,, maybe I can get some wrenching in after work this week.

Have Chris's LaSabre to fall back on if things don't go right.

Waited until today to do the wrenching.

Swapped out the oilpump, and the waterpump. Installed new Goodyear Gatorback T-belts along with the rebuilt tensioners.

Noticed a difference between the tensioners I rebuilt and the ones on the engine. Not sure if those off the '92 engine can be rebuilt like the ones I had here off another EA82. But those were replacements I got thru rockauto some years back. I'll take the 92's into work and see if they'll press apart, go from there.

Wanted to get new accessory drive belts but was low on spare cash this week. So, the old ones went back on. Free check next week, so a few more items will be purchased.

Got her fired up and all properly burped, headed out to my oldest Daughter Heather, to see her and Grandaughter Eden. Pulled in Heather's driveway and had steam rolling out from under the hood. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Did a cursory look under the hood, but didn't see much of anything.

Was thinking it may have been some slopped antifreeze. Headed back here after the visit and noticed steam behind the Wagon. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Get back here and pop the hood again, really looking things over.

AHA!!! Found culprit..

Small hose from top of engine case to T-stat housing has a small split in it.

Agrued the old one out and argued the new one in.

All better now...

Best thing about todays wrenching is,,,, No More TOD!!!!!!! :clap:

HLA's did tick for a bit after the intial startup, but haven't heard anything from them since. Got around 6 miles on it since the wrenching was done.

I be a Happy Camper for the moment.....:D

OH!! I did try to clear that pesky CEL being on all the time.

Un-plugged the Neutral switch connector from the trans. Light still on.

Tried to clear codes by doing the test connector thing, no joy.

Un-hooked battery for 1/2 hour. Re-hooked cables, started engine, No CEL. Yea!!

Hour later, head for the store for more beer, !)!*^%%$*(_)(^%$ CEL is back on again.

AaRrrrrrrrrrrrrrGgggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the fricken fracken bulb out. :Flame:

OH!! I did try to clear that pesky CEL being on all the time.

Un-plugged the Neutral switch connector from the trans. Light still on.

Tried to clear codes by doing the test connector thing, no joy.

Un-hooked battery for 1/2 hour. Re-hooked cables, started engine, No CEL. Yea!!

Hour later, head for the store for more beer, !)!*^%%$*(_)(^%$ CEL is back on again.

AaRrrrrrrrrrrrrrGgggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been thinking on doing just that, but would really like to find cause of it being on.

Bulb was missing when I got the Wagon, and this issue is probally why.

According to the FSM, if the CEL is lit, but it only gives the model designation when you read codes, it means the ECU is confused as to what trans is in the car.

2 different ECU's, and the same thing happens.

I have gone thru all the checks given in the FSM for that issue. No joy.

Had the thought that having the trans neutral switch wired up, may be the source of trouble. Not.

The wire(s) that tell the ECU that the car has an auto trans are not in the ECU connector of the cars wiring harness.

I haven't tried doing the "D" check as of yet. Not real sure on all it requires yet. More reading on it is in order.

Not real sure on what all Bob messed with as far as wiring goes. He was in the process of doing a Turbo EJ swap before he decided to get rid of the Wagon.

Only connections missing was for the radiator thermoswitch and fan power. I haven't found anything else missing or molested. Yet.

Spoke to soon on the TOD, it's back. Not quite as loud or as much as it was before though.

Going to be replacing the oilpan gasket this weekend, so I'll dump some Seafoam in there before hand, see if it'll help clean out some more crud.

Thinking the wire on the oil pressure sending unit didn't like being messed with. Gauge reads lower now. Doesn't read as high on cold startup, and sits below middle of gauge fully warmed at 2700+ RPMs.

I'll check that all out while I'm under there.

Definetly will be replacing the accessory drive belts this weekend. Getting real tired of hearing the belt squeal when turning the steeringwheel when 1st pulling out of a parking spot or the driveway.

Belts are old and stretched out. Both adjustments are at end of travel.

Since the last post, the TOD has gotten louder.

Not 100%, but it sounds like it's just one HLA making the noise.

Starts out as a light tick, gets a bit louder, then gets way loud, then it stops ticking all together.

Then, it starts the cycle over again within a minute or so.

Duration of ticking lasts about a minute also.

Put some Seafoam in the oil before doing my usual Saturday morning errands. Only put 50 some miles on it sofar though, so thinking I'll wait to do the oilpan reseal.

Do think I'll do the cam cover seals later today though. See if I can find which HLA is giving me grief. Really not looking forward to pulling cam carrier to swap HLA's, but if need be......

Managed to have a D.A. attack and loose the gas cap when I filled the tank yesterday morning.

Drove off with it sitting on the roof. Noticed the fuel door open at my 1st stop after the gas station.

I be an idiot....

Luckily, I had a spare one here.

I'm guessing that HLA is not holding pressure, so it collapses causing the loudest of tick, then it pumps it self up a little and starts all over.

I've never had a Subaru with TOD, typical morning tick for a few seconds once and a while, but thats it.

Have you replaced the Cam tower o-rings?

I haven't done any repairs other than T-belts, tensioners, oil and water pumps. Well, did do an oil change and new plugs.

No clue to prior maintenance really. Someone did take the T-belt covers off at some time.

But judging by sparkplug condition when I changed those, it's been quite some time since it was wrenched on.

Yeah, was kinda happy to see that they were goned.

Got around 250 miles on it since I dumped the Seafoam in the oil. HLA noise has quieted quite a bit. Do still hear it, but no where near what it was.

Hoping that it cleans things out more by this weekend.

Planned oilpan reseal is scheduled for that time period.

Then again, I could just get another oil filter and swap it on, let the Seafoam do some more work. Oil that's in there really isn't all that old, and still has some mileage left before it's actually due for a change.

Edited by TomRhere

• 2 weeks later...

Since getting the Wagon on the road back on June 23rd, I've put a bit over 7,000 miles on it. Mostly from the trips for work, a few short jaunts here and there.

Time to rotate tires.

I can see a difference in tread wear between the fronts and the rears.

TOD issue is still happening.

Comes and goes. Some times, it's quiet at start up, other times, she'll rattle.

Driving down the road, TOD comes and goes. No real pattern to it, just does it when it wants to.

Need to pick up another oil pressure gage, plumb it in, see what actual pressure is.

Oil pump I re-sealed and installed only had something like 5-6,000 on it, so it should still be a good pump.

Everything "looked" ok with it. Didn't do any indepth inspection of it though.

Bought new wiper blades for it last week. Finally,, put them on yesterday during lunch.

Just in time for a wet drive home from work.

Been trying to fight off some bug, so not much of anything getting done as far as wrenching goes. Been 2 weeks now, time for it to go away.

Last weekend, after doing the usual Saturday morning errands, I had just enough ambition to crawl back into bed. That's where I stayed all weekend.

BLEEH !!!!

Not to sure on what I'll get done this weekend. Got to do the job thing today. Sucks...

Del's HHR needs a front bearing hub replaced, and some other TLC.

Christopher's LaSabre needs some attention also, so I'll be assisting him on that.

Kinda sucks being the major wrench turner, my vehicle is always on the bottom of the list.

Christopher is learning to do some of the work himself though.

Can't even get Del to add washer fluid to hers.

Not much done on the Wagon, spent most of my energy wrenching on Del's HHR.

Had to replace PS front bearing hub assembly.

Major argueage going on there. Was definetly not wanting to come out of the knuckle assembly. Lot's of corrosion in the bore after I got it out.

Steel part in an aluminum housing, go figure...

Did get the windows cleaned. Drain/refill of the washer fluid with ice melter type fluid.

Checked tire pressures. WOW... Glad I did. All 4 were around 25 pounds. Didn't really look all that soft, and ride quality seemed to be right, so I never thought they were low. But cooler temps have set in so I can see why they'd be low.

Got some twisty roads around here that I drive on at different times. I have hit some of those curves at a good speed, no issues in handling that I felt could be tire pressure related.

Been getting decent gas mileage also. Last fill up was 13.9 gallons with 381.1 miles driven since previous fill.

Had thought of rotating tires, but it'll wait until next weekend. I'm whoopped. This bug I have is kicking my backside, intensly... I have no energy.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally did the oil/filter change, but didn't reseal the oilpan, no time.

Looked at why the PS rear door trim was hanging loose.

Seems someone was kind enough to give me a door ding, popping the trim off.

Gee,, Thanks....

Pulled trim off the front most clip, tossed it in the back. Got to pull the door card, take clips out of door, refit trim.

Thankfully, none of the clips appear to be broke.

Once again, my schedule for repairs were changed by the Wife.

Spent most of the weekend driving fence posts and stringing fence. She wanted a fenced area for the dogs. Mostly for Luna Tic, the 1-1/2 year old Beagle, she don't like to stay in the yard at times. Comes when she feels like listening to you. Definetly a defiant one.