Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Called it a day about 1/2 hour ago. All cleaned up and having a couple well deserved beers. :) Been out there wrenching since 9:AM. Long day......

Had a few "well you dummy, should've checked that before hand" issues. But I managed to get things corrected. One of which was to insure the wiring harness on the D/R would connect to the Wagon, nada. Had to swap that out with trans all bolted up nice and proper. Not fun....

No Neutral switch on it either, so thinking the ECU is going to have a fit over that. Got a plan for a remedy on that, just have to do some checking in the FSM 1st, see what the ECU looking for.

Engine is back in, all hooked up, and started. Let it run 15 minutes or so, then shut it down. Lot of gurgling from the overflow, but she still needs more coolant. So, no problem there. Overflow is topped off, she'll draw in more as she cools.

Not 100% on this, but thinking I found cause of noise I've been hearing that past few.

Front u-joint is goned.... Bad. Shot. Done for....

Last thing I had to do yesterday to pull trans was the mounts, driveshaft, and shifter connection. Crawled under the Wagon to do so this morning, and everything from the trans output back is covered in lube. What a mess....

Got the driveshaft dropped, and I could make the u-joint flop around way to easy, could even get a clink out of it twisting things.

I've been only running the front half of the shaft, as the other joints were bad. Had the center diff locked so I could drive it. Being the "old trans" was a FT4WD, shaft was still spinning under power.

Put the front 1/2 of another shaft in, u-joint isn't the best, but it won't be spinning either.

Really hoping that was the issue and not one of the rear wheel bearings.

I had been smelling oil/lube smoke for the past few, just didn't make a connection to the noise/smell.

Anyways, tomorrow is frontend work time.

Oh, I still have the XT6 Pistol-grip shifter installed. Apparently, I don't have the correct shifter boot to install the D/R shifter.

Don't need 4WD shifter if you can't do 4WD.

Got a few ideas churning on a work around. We shall see how that goes. Time will tell.

I are not a "Happy Camper"!

Strike 1;

Inner wheel bearing seals purchased from info gathered on here, DO NOT FIT the hub. They are to big as to outer diameter aka bore size.

They do fit the Imp axle stub however, so shaft size is correct.

Strike 2;

Ordered 2 more seals, will have them tomorrow. Hopefully, they fit. Spent money I really don't have to do so.

Strike 3;

Tie-rod ends purchased are not for the XT6, they be EA82 ones.

Can't return them as it's been over 30 days since purchase.

Luckily, the ball-joints purchased at the same time are the correct ones.

Edited by TomRhere

Not so lucky with the ball-joints either it seems.

They fit the control arm, no problem.

Don't however, fit the hub. Tad bit to large in diameter.

This crap sucks buttermilk. Big time............................

edit;

Both the ball-joints and tie-rod ends were purchased thru O'Reilly's web site. Apparently, their catalog listing is incorrect.

Tie-rods listed are for the EA82 body, not the XT6.

No clue as to what the ball-joint listed is for.

Edited by TomRhere

Just to add insult to injury;

New axle vs. old axle,

002.jpg

Inboard end aligned,

001.jpg

Outboard end difference,

003.jpg

Not really getting into the, "Viva La differance" thing here.

Axles are the same over all length, just way different on the outboard end.

Not real sure where I'm heading with this now. Can't return axles as it's been over 4 months now since purchase, they won't even give me any kind of break in price on replacements.

Really seems that I've hit the Mother Lode on mispacked parts.

Edited by TomRhere

More checkage done....

Have copy of order slip, I ordered the correct axles. Box received thru shipping company had correct part number on the axle boxes contained there in.

Axles however, are definitely the wrong ones. 

So, now I "own" axles I can't use, and I need to get the correct ones coming.

From internet searching,

I HAVE the EMPI 805511 axles. What I received. 25 inner spline-27 outer spline

I NEED the EMPI 805519 axles. What I thought I was getting. 23 inner spline-27 outer spline.

Hell, if was just the inner spline count being wrong, I'd put the FTAWD 5-speed back in. But the outer end difference is really the killer to going anywhere with this at the moment. Can't get the hub back to where it needs to be to get the "correct" ball-joint to go in.

Knuckle is roughly 1" further out than it should be, with axle bottomed out.

Said the "H" with it and tried. It be a "no go".

Edited by TomRhere

Got the correct ball-joints thru AutoZone, Duralast p/n FA2067. $20.00 each + all the taxes and stuff.

Not only do they fit both the control arm and knuckle, you get a new pinch bolt with them.

Ordered 3 u-joints thru them, be here Thursday. Duralast p/n 2-0430DL. $20.00 each on these also.

Just got email confirming shipment of axles.

No info yet as to arrival date, guess they just got packed up and ready to go as of that email. Had them sent to my work place, cheaper shipping charges.

Hope they get here before the weekend. Wasn't in the mood to pay "extra" to get them here sooner.

Thats a headache and a half! I hope you have better luck with the EMPIs than I did. I bought 2, one was ok, but then the boot ripped. The 2nd the DOJ was very stiff when I took it out of the box. Almost like it had no grease in it, only assembly lube. I never bothered to pack it cause I didn't want to mess around with the boot. Now it clicks if I don't drive the car for a few weeks, but then it goes away after you start driving it some distance Ha!

Hasn't broke yet though! After I do the new lift, I am gonna replace both axles with my house brand ones as they are "NEW" and not remans.

Man its been a while since I've been on the Ussmuub.

Yeah, well,,, 2nd set of axles arrived and they won't work either. I'm returning them.

SO, I'm in the process of putting the FT4WD 5-speed back in. Trans is in now, just need to reinstall the shifter, y-pipe. Hook up the speedometer, and put interior back together.

Didn't feel like pulling the engine again, so dropped trans out the bottom.

Getting it out wasn't to bad, getting it back in was a bit of a chore. But I managed.

Proper inner seals for the front hubs won't be here until Monday, so I have to wait on axle install.

Going to take driveshaft into work to do u-joints. Got more of the proper tools there to do so.

And I was able to return the wrong ball-joints and tie-rod ends to the locale O'Reilly outlet.

Took the ones off the Wagon with me, and had a few words with the counterperson. Nicely though.

It was agreed that they were not the correct parts. So getting close to $200.00 back into my pocket was nice.

Ok. I be done wrenching on it until I get the driveshaft rebuilt and seals for the knuckles in.

Interior is all back together.

Gotta remember to put the cloth filter on the vac when I vac out the carpet. Made one heck of a dust storm inside of the Wagon.

Everything under the hood is connected, shifter hooked back up. Old spring for it was stretched some, so located another spring for it out of the stash tub. Believe it to be a T-belt tensioner spring, but it is the right length, maybe a tad to much on the tension though. Oh well....

Need to set up a screen/filter system to strain the "new lube" I drained out of the D/R so I can use it in the FT4WD trans. Can't see no reason not to use it seeing as it is new, just been ran thru the D/R trans, maybe 15 minutes run time with trans in neutral and wheels off the ground.

Picked up the new inner seals last night. Opted to mow the yard instead of wrenching on Wagon.

Spent lunch break yesterday finding needed fixtures to at least get one bearing cup pushed out of the yoke on each u-joint.

Thinking I can get my cut-off wheel in there and do some slicing on them, then get the rest of the old ones out.

The angle on the outside of the yokes don't make it easy to get things properly set in the press. Auughhh!

Got the front half of the driveshaft done yesterday during lunch.

Need to take one of the flanges off the other rear section into work. Seems that someone used a cutting torch to remove the bolts and washed away a good portion of the one flange on the one I have at work.

Glad I had another driveshaft here.

Haven't worked on the Wagon yet, been busy doing other chores

Since Christopher and the Grandsons moved out, I has lots more on my "Do it" list. :(

Well, it's back together and out of the garage.

Only have the front half of driveshaft in right now. Not to sure I did that u-joint right. Feels free and all with no binding going on, but now the whole Wagon has a vibration that wasn't there before.

Still have the noise that started all of this too. So it looks like I get to swap the PS swing arm out.

The Desert Fox and Tdodge was here yesterday, brought me a replacement swing arm.

We all jumped in the Wagon and went for a drive, James drove. All were in agreement that there is definitely a noise and their thoughts were it's from the rear. I was sitting in the back and still couldn't pinpoint it. Ears must be going.

Sent them on their way home with some goodies for both.

Be heading out to the garage to see what I can accomplish today.

As always it was a fun time. It was fun to drive the wagon. Took me a minute to get the feel of the shifter, as my 4 speed is all over the place. Thanks again for the hook up on parts. I know Travis is getting excited to start patching up the BRAT and my wagon will be happier once I get to welding up my rockers as well. I managed to snap a pic of TDF and the GL together

post-20476-0-45843900-1368967030_thumb.jpg

Back on the road, Finally.....

Spent the last week trying to get the retainer nut out of the swing arm. Been applying P B Blaster and hammer/punch twice daily, in the AM before work then when I get back here. It finally let loose yesterday morning.

So, I got out all the play toys needed to remove paint and rust, got it all cleaned up for paint, then applied some Black paint to it.

Once it dried, I installed the new bearings which came with both seals, so I did not need to go spend the money I did on the seals. Oh well, I have another set of rear seals if needed.

Put the arm back where it belongs along with all the other goodies under there, torqued everything down, went for a drive.

Noise from rear is goned... YES!!!!

However, that whole car vibration was still there. So up on ramps it goes, pulled front of driveshaft out, zip-tied a paint can top over the trans output, down off ramps and another run was made.

No more vibration !!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'll be taking the whole driveshaft to a driveline shop for balancing.

Been without the Wagon for far to long. Looking forward to driving it to work in the AM.

The drive to/from work was good as in "no issues" to worry about.

Do have a rattle coming from the console area that wasn't there before. I can stop it by holding onto the shifter. So I need to pull that up and look things over.

Really felt good to drive it down the road again.

Worked on dissecting the rear half of the driveshaft during lunch, it really wanted to argue with me about coming apart, but I won that battle. Once I have the new u-joints in, I'll get it over to the driveline shop for balancing.

Happy to report that the Wagon is real happy with the new bearings on all 4 corners.

Not sure of actual mileage yet, but I surpassed the 225-230 miles driven mark today as gas gauge passed the 1/2 mark from last Saturdays fill up.

Thinking I be happy camper for the moment. Gas prices here are $4.10 to $4.20 depending on what station you go by.

Yep, gallons.

Over the 300 mile mark now and nearing the 1/4 mark.

Guess I'll find out if the mileage really did improve, or if the gauge is just being silly. Prior to replacing all of the wheel bearings, I drove 395 - 399 miles on a tank before I topped it off again. Never have put more than 13.9xx gallons in it though. Close to 14 gallons, but never actually saw 14 on the pump.

I've averaged out the mileage over 5 -6 tanks and was getting  low to upper 29 MPG.

We shall see if that improves.

Pulled the Wagon into the driveway tonight with 444.5 miles showing on the trip odo, gas gauge is at/slightly below the "E" mark.

Plan is top off tank in the AM, reset the trip odo, and go from there. Mileage on it then,, will be 445.2x. I like this greatly............................

But it definitely seems that MPG has improved. Gotta love that..........