Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Got the engine dug out yesterday.

001_1.jpg

Forgot just how nasty dirty it was.

What an oil/dirt incrusted mess... Going to be a long clean up...

Also, seems to be a broken intake bolt on this one too.

At least it's the opposite head to the one I've been trying to get a broken bolt out of.

Got the ones on the engine currently in the Wagon, so I should have two sets to choose from.

And this is yet another Subaru engine that has spark plugs that are not NGK's. Has AC Delco's in it.

4 BRAT's, 2 XT6's, 4 EA82 engines, all came to me with "other brand" plugs in them.

Edited by TomRhere

Total waste of time on that engine today.

Didn't get pic of cylinders, but have a few of the heads.

006.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

So.....

It looks like I pull/redo engine in the Wagon now.

Nothing I have otherwise is a "do it" engine, just so much scrap metal.

• 2 weeks later...

More of the carnage;

003_1.jpg

That is #3 cylinder. FUBAR!!

Christopher had wiped the stuff out that would come out, then coated it down with ATF.

I let it set for a few days and hit it with a wire wheel. The Dark stuff is rust.

Can turn the crank around though. But it takes some doing.

008_1.jpg

This past Saturday, I tore down another short-block, just to see if I could save it at all.

Surface rust in the cylinders, but crank would turn, without the chain-wrench.

007_1.jpg

Gave the worst looking cylinder a go over with the honing tool.

This was after maybe 5 minutes run time.

004_1.jpg

Thinking it be toast also.

So, I'm definitely pulling the EA82 that's in the Wagon now. Give it a complete go over.

Going to pull the pistons out of that gnarly looking block, well,,, if the wrist pins will come out..

Pick the best of the 2 sets, clean and re-ring them.

I'll have 3 cranks to choose from, as well as, 3 sets of connecting rods

Really hoping I don't have any shop work other than getting the heads done. Well, might have a crank polished if it's deemed needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Been slow going on getting things done on this project.

Been trying to do yard work, fix things what need fixing on the house, and getting it all scraped and primered for a fresh coat of paint.

None of which has been easily done with all the rain we've had.

But I have managed some garage time.

Tore down one of the ER27's in hopes of selling some parts. Turns out the parts that were wanted were not serviceable.

But,, I now have some good 9.5-1 pistons for the EA82. :)

Played around with the broken bolts in the engine from the parts Wagon. Got them out. YES!!!

Finish tearing the block down for cleaning, and it's been sitting in a tub of kerosene for the past week or so.

Spent yesterday cleaning the grunge off the case halves, and did a quick hone of all four cylinders. Still need to do a bit more honing, but it looks good so far.

Be heading out to the garage soon to do more.

Calling for more rain today, so no "outside" work. Bummer... NOT!

Keep hearing this, "We need to get this done" stuff. The only "We" that has been doing the work has been, Me, Myself, and I. Getting a bit  tired of it.

I'll take some pics of things, see if I can get them on here. This laptop don't like to do that at times. The tower I was using died, haven't taken time to fit it yet.

• Like 1

Spent yesterdays monsoon time doing more cleaning of things.

Happy with how the engine looks overall, but not liking how the remnants of the head gaskets don't want to be nice and easily come of. Still working on that issue.

Basically doing my damnest to keep the Wagon somewhat drivable until I have an engine ready to go in. Don't like being without a back-up vehicle.

Ordered in a few more parts that I've been holding of on doing so. Should have everything needed to reassemble this engine come next weekend.

Calling for rain all this week, so mostly garage time for me.

Wife is having a tizzy 'cause, "the yard needs mowing". I no mow wet grass. And it hasn't stopped raining long enough for it to dry out any.

Ain't the 1st time the yard has gone past a week between mowing's, won't be the last time either...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yeah, well,,,, still plugging away at it. Seems everything here is wanting my money/time that should be going to the Wagon.

Household items needed replaced. And, and,,,both the riding and push mowers broke down. REALLY, both of them?!?!??!???!!!????

So, no money for Wagon related expenditures, other than elbow grease. Which it seems I'm running out of. Man do I ache here lately, all over.

And, I also had to refurbish a computer so I could get back on-line. My laptop was dying, so I picked up a used tower system and was using that. Tower died, so smack laptop around some to convince it to work. Then a storm system blew thru here and took it out. Time to beat up the tower system and get it going.

That is what I'm on right now.

But, I shall press on.

I can still drive the Wagon around town, and do so on the weekends. But man,,,, I so want to be driving it to/from work. I miss it, and driving the HHR is getting old.

Edited by TomRhere
  • Like 1

LOL. No, but I live 1/2 mile as the crow flies from a decent sized lake. 5 more smaller lakes with in a 5 mile radius of me. Actually quite a few lakes around the area here.

Those rotors looked almost as bad when I took them off the XT6 8-9 years ago. Then they sat around in the garage until I put them under the Wagon. Thought they'd clean up some just from brake use, but they never did. Rears never really worked right, but they do now with the new rotors, calipers and pads.

• 6 months later...

Wow! Time flies by.

Since that last posting in July, I've managed a few things, but she still ain't on the road yet.

Work went into mondo overtime, as in 12+ hours a day plus 8 on Saturdays. So not much time left to do stuff around here.

Did manage to get a short block all assembled with 9.5 pistons and new rings, new crank/rod bearings, and slipped some sleeves over the crank ends where the seals ride.

Crank checked out good except for the wear where the seals ride.

Pulled the engine out of the Wagon over the Christmas Holiday, and pulled the heads off. Turned the heads into the local shop for a resurface and valve job.

Just picked them up last night, and wasted $50 in doing so. (Shop was loaded with engine work is reason for the time lapse).

They found the crack between the valves and stopped all work on them. Wouldn't listen to me about the fact it's a non-issue.

"We don't work on cracked heads".

So,, as soon as I can get a set of exhaust valves ordered in, I'll do the heads myself. Didn't want that hassle, so opted for the shop

They did try to do one exhaust valve, but it was to pitted to be of any worth. So I need new ones. Intake valves really look to be usable, but I may opt to get new of those also.

So here in the next week or so, I should have a running engine back in the Wagon.

• Like 1

Just placed the order for  four each of intake/exhaust valves thru rockauto.

DNJ Brand for both sets, with shipping, and discount code,  3974541036126750 , comes to just under $57.00 to my door.

Another site wanted a bit over $80.00 for just the parts, same Brand. No make sense...

Now, to get me some wet surface sandpaper and start going to town on the heads. Get ready for the new valves to arrive.

Had thoughts of pulling valves out of other heads I have hanging about here, just to see what was what with them. But decided that I would be better off in the long run to just get new ones.

• Like 1

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked.

Previous pic is the engine I had reworked for the Wagon, and recently pulled due to it's anemic behavior.

Hoping to have the replacement engine I'm working on now, just as clean and good looking. Maybe a different color scheme though.

Edited by TomRhere

You did a fine job cleaning up the other block. So usually I use a wire wheel to polish up the block and remove corrosion, but this tends to lean swirls (Probably could use a brass wire wheel to avoid this) but do you apply anything to the aluminum to keep it looking this clean and bright? I've noticed in time the surface corrosion kinda comes back.

I used to use that Eagle One wadding compound cloth to polish it, just wondering if you know of a better way.

All of that cleaning was done using small hand-held Brass wire brushes. Quite a few of them in total. Did use a Stainless Steel brush on some of the areas, but Brass for the most part.

Kerosene was used for the wetting agent. I think it works fairly well.

Didn't use anything to protect the engine, and kinda wishing I had. Some areas started looking a bit nasty, mostly due to residual road salt spray getting on it.

Going to look into something to use this time around, not sure as to the "What" yet.

If it weren't so cost prohibitive for me, I'd have things anodized in various colors. Haven't actually looked into it, just know I don't have the money to do so.

When we build a "Wash-Down" Slicing system at work, any aluminum parts get anodized in a Flat Black looking color. Looks good to me.

As of tomorrow, the HHR is paid off. YEA!! So I'll have a few more dollars in my pocket to be able to afford things like anodizing. But not for the engine I'm working on now.

• Like 1

002_3.jpg

004_3.jpg

A pic of each head with "Super Massive Crack" that the engine shop won't deal with, regardless of what I tell them.

I can't catch a fingernail on either one, so don't think there's any issue with them.

Did find two heads with no crack in either. Just so happens both are non-egr side. Oh Darn, can't do an EGR valve now. Bummer....

Added bonus of no broken bolts, or stripped threads in them.

Was only in the garage for a short time today, not feeling all that good. Hoping it's just allergy related and not the start of a cold.

Nose feels like I snorted a whole 1 pound can of Black Pepper. :Flame:

• Like 1

Yeah, getting boxes of stuff is nice. Just wish it didn't put such a dent in the funds at times.

Got to pick up some sand paper yet, but I have everything else needed to do the heads.

Once those are done, bolt them on and then finish engine assembly, hopefully by the end of the weekend. Maybe even stuff it back where it belongs.

Not to sure if I can get it all done and ready to fire up though.

We shall see.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit of a chore in finding sandpaper with paper backing instead of plastic. Places I've stopped at either didn't have anything but plastic backed, or they were out of the paper backed stuff.

But, I finally found some yesterday, and bought all they had. Which,, wasn't all that much. 2 packs each of 220 and 320 grit, 6 small sheets each pack. Took 4 sheets to get a proper sized sanding area.

Gave each head a lap dance with both grits until the grain wore enough that it wasn't removing any more material. Still have a bit of the fire ring to remove, but they're looking good so far.

Opted to go with the above pictured heads, as the cracks in them isn't all that bad in my opinion.

Got the new valves all unpacked, and gave them a lap dance also. Looking good..

Be heading out to garage in a bit to clean everything up, and start reassembling the heads. I'll try to remember to take the camera with me.

Contact cement, WD40, and Brake Cleaner spray makes for some rather potent fumes. Good thing yesterday was a nice 58*F so I could have the garage door open. No way I could have ran the heater.

• 2 weeks later...

More time spent working on the engine over the weekend.

004_4.jpg

Both heads are complete and installed now.

Hunted for better part of an hour for my can of anti-seize with no luck. WTH!!!! Hasn't been that long since I used it last, 1st part of February. So where the heck is it??? Someone absconded it is all I can think of.

Did manage to find enough of those little packs of anti-seize one gets with various parts, to get the head bolts coated and torqued down. But couldn't do any more assembly work.

Got to looking at the different EA82 oil pumps I have, just checking them for wear and what not. Also looked over the ER27 oil pump I recently pulled off one of them I have here.

Asked years ago if EA82/ER27 oil pumps were interchangeable. Answer was NO.

They have the same bolt pattern, different size belt pulley. But the real difference is the actual pumping pieces themselves. Always thought the ER27 pump should have more volume than the EA82 pump, and it does.

015_1.jpg

ER27 in fore ground, EA82 in back ground. See the difference?

The ER27's rotor is thicker, hence more volume. This is a good thing..

018_1.jpg

Once again, both pumps, but a closer view.

016.jpg

Notice the lack of O-ring on the ER27 pump. That is how they got the extra volume capacity for the ER27 pump. Shave the housing down, make thicker rotor and related parts.

I test fitted the outer rotor in a few different EA82 blocks, and it sits at the same measurement in those as it does in the ER27 block. This tells me that it will, or should, work.

Thinking I shall reseal the ER27 pump and use it on this here EA82.

Maybe look at increasing the pressure a bit also.

Edited by TomRhere

If the rotor clears the same measurement as you said, then I see no reason why the ER27 pump wouldn't work on the EA82 with the added benefit of higher volume, which wouldn't kill the EA82 at high RPM. 

I am surprised the answer to this question so many years ago was "No" Considering the ER27 is 100% an EA82 with two added cylinders at the rear. Nothing should have really changed in the front of the block. If you look at an ER27 with the #1 piston at TDC. The two pistons at the rear will both be at half stroke from what I remember when Fox and I did HGs on an old XT6. Its like Subaru just slapped two extra cylinders and a MPFI spider intake on an EA82 ;)

Yeah, was told that on the XT6 Board.

The '88 XT6 I had at the time had some serious TOD happening, and I happened to have a "New" EA82 pump ready to go. So asked the question, received said answer.

Maybe it was due to volume difference, don't know, didn't get definitive answer if I remember it right.

And yes, higher oil flow volume is a good thing. Increase in pressure would also be a good thing.

Takes me back to the days of the "Muscle Car" era.

Guys were always arguing about "higher flow" or "more pressure" as to what is better for an engine.

I say "Both". One can increase volume and pressure, but there is a trade-off limit, as to one or the other.

Same goes with torque and horsepower. You can build both, but have to decide which one will be the leading goal.

Thinking higher volume will do both the bearings and those finicky HLA's happy, especially if I can up the pressure slightly.

• Like 1

"OFF TOPIC"

Our '07 HHR is no more.

On my way home from work tonight, had an oncoming pickup truck lose it and come into my lane. Nothing I could do.

Radiator/AC condenser is sitting atop the engine. Hood is basically sitting in the windshield.

I'm OK, albeit a bit sore. Belt burns across the hip area, sternum hurts some also from the shoulder belt.

Have a couple pics, but my dumb-fone can't upload to the web.

It will be blamed on icy/snow cover road conditions. But it was Dumb Arsed Driver what was driving to fast for conditions as to the cause.

• Like 1

Damn rubbish! Glad you're alright though, icy roads or not, be dumb on someone else time. Granted yes, I drive quick, slide it sideways and around curves and do all sorts of "Dumb" crap when driving in the snow because its fun. But I've never came close to hurting someone else in all the years, never crashed into anything now that I think about it.

Dumb people, I tell ya. So whats up next now that the HHR is no more?

As for the oil pump, I agree it will help a lot with the HLAs. Although, I've never had any issue with mine for the past 10yrs, and now with Amsoil, they never make a sound. Perhaps because mine is a 3AT it always runs higher RPMs which probably keeps things open and not sticky. Low RPMs kill these motors (Which is why the STi guys blow con rods and ringlands) 4th gear turbo pulls are always a good idea  :rolleyes:

If anything though, I would watch just how much pressure you get out of the XT6 pump. Otherwise kiss ur main seals goodbye.

• Like 1