Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Increasing Passing Power? EJ22 4EAT:

So many of you know about Trashwagon10, the 210,000 '95 Legacy Duel-port EJ22 4EAT with an UEL header.

I am looking to bump up the passing power of the engine somehow. I can go from 60 to 80mph pretty quick, and I have had this car up to 100mph once, but would like to feel a little more pull while having my foot down.

What is there to do besides a stepped up Delta Cam? Is there a worthy chip or are those just bull? Maybe changing the Mid-pipe? Looking for something I haven't thought about or have heard of.

Open to all ideas :)

-Tom

Ben,

An UEL header will increase the bottom end torque and off the line responce, some say you loose some top end power, but it feels like it has more guts now then it did. Also removing the muffler has greatly improved top end power.

I think getting a larger Diameter mid-pipe (2 or 2-1/2") might give a bit more pull.

when I put UEL headers on my car like 8 months ago I forsure had more low end but lost some in the top end.

It gets annoying people think I'm trying to race them when leaving from the light so I just let the red light catch up to them lol

I'd say my 0-60 is about 8sec (Not to the floor)

So many of you know about Trashwagon10, the 210,000 '95 Legacy Duel-port EJ22 4EAT with an UEL header.

I am looking to bump up the passing power of the engine somehow. I can go from 60 to 80mph pretty quick, and I have had this car up to 100mph once, but would like to feel a little more pull while having my foot down.

What is there to do besides a stepped up Delta Cam? Is there a worthy chip or are those just bull? Maybe changing the Mid-pipe? Looking for something I haven't thought about or have heard of.

Open to all ideas :)

-Tom

swap in a 5 spd! :grin: seriously Tom, you already know that these cars are NOT powerhouses and there is so little aftermarket for them that there really isnt all that much you can do. Best bang for the buck for passing - 5 spd! kick it down a gear, stomp on it, kick it up a gear, and gone!

swap in a 5 spd! :grin: seriously Tom, you already know that these cars are NOT powerhouses and there is so little aftermarket for them that there really isnt all that much you can do. Best bang for the buck for passing - 5 spd! kick it down a gear, stomp on it, kick it up a gear, and gone!

Yeah I know a 5spd is the way to go, Maybe some day eh.. :) Once this 4EAT takes a crap (If it ever will) Oh wait, maybe I have to drive my car like all these other dumb kids, making the trans work very hard to shift, I always make sure the tranny wants to engauge smoothly even at red-line shifts, I will back off the throttle just a fraction so it will glide in rather then struggle. I hear a lot of dumb kids drive past my house and just how they don't treat their car well.

This kid that lives kiddie-corner from me has a '01 Mirrage sedan with a fart-can on it, he trys to make it sound like its stick, he'll punch it then back way off the gas then hit it hard again (For a delay sound) thats not the way you treat an auto, your making it work extra hard that way :rolleyes:

DUMB KIDS, OMG! :rolleyes:

Yeah I know a 5spd is the way to go, Maybe some day eh.. :) Once this 4EAT takes a crap (If it ever will) Oh wait, maybe I have to drive my car like all these other dumb kids, making the trans work very hard to shift, I always make sure the tranny wants to engauge smoothly even at red-line shifts, I will back off the throttle just a fraction so it will glide in rather then struggle. I hear a lot of dumb kids drive past my house and just how they don't treat their car well.

This kid that lives kiddie-corner from me has a '01 Mirrage sedan with a fart-can on it, he trys to make it sound like its stick, he'll punch it then back way off the gas then hit it hard again (For a delay sound) thats not the way you treat an auto, your making it work extra hard that way :rolleyes:

DUMB KIDS, OMG! :rolleyes:

best ting wit auto is wen i hold the break and floor it and let go of brek and it goes eeeeerrrrrrrrr

Well in all honesty before I swapped my 94 SS to 5spd I did alot of stuff you wouldn't NORMALLY do with your autotragic. Including in D full throttle full boost 4-5k launches.

Rocking 5spd now and loving it car is like day and night! Think about it this way it took me 4 auto's to swap it to 5spd.

11272010040.jpg

Thanks! Yup definitely should have made the switch earlier, but the 3rd tranny was the best tranny, but the front differential seized! It was probably the best driving auto out of all my transmissions and the damn front diff seizes! Failures have arranged from lost of 1-4 randomly and getting no drive, with no working awd on atleast 2 trannies, and torque converter failure and of course the front differential seizing!

Keep in mind each tranny except the seized differential(stock power) failed with td04 intercooled at 16psi tuned.

The best way to fix ANY power problem is to add MOAR BOOST!!!! ...sorry. Old habbits. Other than that, a good tune up, cleaning, and proper maintenance Are the best, cheapest, and most beneficial ways to make power. Beyond that.... a cam, port and polish, and an ECU tune can do wonders. On the issue of transmissions, if the nanny shifter wasn't such a whore, I wouldn't mind having an auto. But as it stands now, with all the high mileage slippage, torque converter failure, AWD solenoid failure, and general weaksauceness, I REALLY agree with the 5 speed swap.

Edited by Xanadu62

I was going to recommend paddle shifters since it gives you complete control of the trans before and after passing, but figured it would have fallen on deaf ears :lol:

The power mode mod is sweet. Don't know if it actually makes the car faster, or just seem faster though :lol: Either way grounding a pin on the TCU and installing a switch is a super easy mod to make the car feel more "sporty".

As to the "autotragic" comments, I LOVE my auto and probably won't go back to a stick for DD use EVER. Auto's are awesome for driving around town. Add in the paddle shifters and you can drive it like a manual till the day the motor quits. But yet my left foot never leaves the floor. I don't get as tired in traffic, and I am more relaxed when I get to my destination. The 4EAT is a STOUT transmission, and if it does not last its because it WAS NOT taken care of properly. My last one had 215,xxx and it was still going strong before I totaled the car...

There is always the franken motor option as well since you are getting up there in mileage and have a 2.5 block to start off with ;) That will add some passing power for sure! All without adding any boost hehe.

Or a 50 wet shot of NOS works just as well. :lol: How about some methanol injection? :lol: Or how about a flux capacitor hehe, but I digress.

Have you done the power mode mod yet tom? Let us know what you think of it after having it for a little while...

My bad I thought you had the 2.5 :)

Ya you could see some improvement with an ECU tuning, but if you are going to do that, throw in some torque grind delta cams, then tune it. That will show big gains in torque, which in turn leads to more passing power. That's what I would do... I might do the torque cams anyways, I hear they are fantastic!