Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All! ... :) ... Please Correct me if I'm Wrong, this is for my EA82 Wagon.

if I Have a PCV Setup like This one...

CIMG3307.jpg?t=1291654402

(This Awesome Clean EA82 Engine Belongs to Kanurys)

...and my EA82 is Blowin' Oil thru the PCV setup, I Must install an Oil Catch Can, Right?

Recently I Obtained an Oil Catch Can that Looks similar to This one:

Portapapeles01.jpg?t=1291653414

The Questions Are:

• Should I Hook it Between the Driver's side Head Hose and the PCV intake Valve, isn't it?
  • The Passenger's Side Hose Doesn't need any Oil Catch Can 'cos it will only "Suck" Air from the Air Filter's Box, at the Carb... isn't it?

Any Suggestion, advice or Idea will be Greatly Appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Wow, nice catch can. I made a home made version with a prego jar. It's clear so I can see what gets caught in it.

Yes - you put it between the driver's side valve cover and the pcv. Make sure your system has T fitting and a smaller tube between the catch can and pcv to break the vaccume. This smaller tube should go to clean atmospheric pressure (air cleaner or standalone filter).

I have caught a tiny bit of oil, running normally. Mostly condensation water is what I catch. Up here in CO it's dry and we have big temp differences between night and day, so closed spaces catch a lot of condensation.

The only time I got a few ounces of oil in it is when I was parked on a steep hill with the driver's side pointed down hill, it was about 10 degrees F on a cold start and about 2000 RPM (really thick oil). I'm glad I had the can in there then.

p.s. Nice engine in the picture, above :) I had fun rebuilding it. Somewhere in there I posted a picture of my can and there is some discussion of PCV setup correctly. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114817&highlight=1987+build+thread

Edited by kanurys

Thank you Kanurys,

I Liked your Engine and that Photo got the Best Angle to Explain the PCV Stuff Correctly, Thanks! :)

You don't need one at all - if you setup the PCV as in that picture then it shouldn't be sucking oil into the intake. Mine never do.......

GD

Thank you GD, Again You're Right; but the Difference here is that my EA82 is Blowing too much Oil... I Believe that over 280K Miles Driving in a Very Dusty / Muddy (and Off-Road) Conditions 60% of the Time in my Crazy Country, have worn Faster certain engine Parts like the Piston Rings; but that EA82 Still Drives Strong and since it is Weberized is pretty Fast; the Only Problem is the Oil in the PCV Hoses...

Kind Regards.

when you hook up a catch can, its supposed to be inline with the PCV vacuum source. ive ran multiple catch cans on several cars, turbo or non.

crankcase->catch can->manifold vacuum

you can also hook it up to your exhaust at a 45, use the bernouli effect to create crankcase vacuum. GM did this for a grip

Interesting, I've never heard of this device. Do I need one for my ea82 Turbo?

For a turbo it's a good idea. You can get one of those nice PERRINs or make your own, but it won't work quite as well. I think board member CMILLER has the Perrin and loves it. I put my own in on a N/A EA82 with totally clean intake, so I have a point of reference on how dirty it gets over time. So far I've caught a little bit of nasty soup.

Maybe you could do my ghetto mod and use a jar to see if it makes a difference before you buy a nice one? That was my plan. Then let us know how much and at what rate your turbo engine collects oil in the PCV system?

SK

Edited by kanurys

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I Obtained an Oil Catch Can that Looks similar to This one:

Portapapeles01.jpg

Ok, the Oil catch can Finally came.

When I Purchased it in e-Bay (with the Kind Help of a Friend) it said "15mm Fittings" that Equals to my Subie's 5/8" Heads Hoses... 

But the Thing came with 9mm Fittings... which equals to 3/8" ... Smaller sized fittings.

I know that I could use a Small piece of 3/8" Hose in those fittings to make the 5/8" Hose plug over it, but the Question is:

Will this 3/8" reduction be too Restrictive for my EA82 engine?

I've Tested (with my Mouth's Vacuum :mellow:) the Oil Catch can flow and is somehow restrictive by itself.

Kind Regards.

...why take the risk.

I personally don't like these devices.

Yes, You're Right... I Don't want to Take the Risk.

That 3/8" (9mm) Oil Catch can is very Restrictive by itself and being with that Tiny Hoses could be Dangerous to my EA82 Engine; So, I'll Try to Contact the Seller; he Listed that can as it had 5/8" (15mm) Fittings.

Could I Ask why you Don't like these Devices? ... any Bad Experience?

I'll Like to Know in order to Avoid future Problems...

Kind Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

I Already ordered another one and this time I Double Checked that it Really has 5/8" (15 mm) Fittings.

This time I asked for a confirmation to the Seller by e-mail Before buy it.  :D

I Sold the 3/8" one to a friend who also is mechanic, for his 22R 'yota.

Kind Regards.

Yes, You're Righ... I Don't want to Take the Risk, the 3/8" (9mm) Oil Catch can is very Restrictive by itself and being with that Tiny Hoses could be Dangerous to my EA82 Engine.

So, I'll Try to Contact the Seller; he Listed that can as it had 5/8" (15mm) Fittings.

Could I Ask why you Don't like these Devices? ... any Bad Experience?

I'll Like to Know in order to Avoid future Problems...

Kind Regards.

The ones I saw at the dealer were usually full of sludge which is the purpose of the device but people don't periodically check them.

The installers often use hose that isn't up to the task of warm oil and blow by gas.

It adds additional clutter to the engine compartment.

Its still not really removing the sludge from the engine its just putting it somewhere.

Over time if left neglected it could clog and increase pressure to the crank.

If a hose pops off.....

Frankly there is enough junk under the hood of an 80's Subaru engine compartment (at least from the factory) and adding more just eats time in maintenance, visual inspection, and repairs.

I just put a canning jar with the two hoses spliced with the lid in. It's clear so I can see what is in it. Usually I catch condensed water and some minor oil sludge over a few weeks. I'm sure it's helping somehow and I do check it often. The cool part is it doesn't require much maintenance aside from unscrewing and dumping it out.

...Over time if left neglected it could clog and increase pressure to the crank. ...

Yes, You're Right... its a Risk Somehow and an added mess of Hoses.

Those Oil Catch cans Aren't for the Average Driver...

Thank you Shawn for your Kind answer.

Best Regards.

• 7 months later...

see if its possible to get a 5/8 hose fitting on there. i hate not getting the parts that are advertised.

Well... also I Hate to not obtain the Parts that are Advertised... and you paid for.

Now Think about that happening... Twice!!! :eek:

Let me Explain: First, as Suggested, I tried to obtain 5/8" Fittings for the First (Roundy) oil Catch can that came with the 3/8" ones... but the Tiny 3/8" threaded holes on that where too restrictive for a Proper Flow, so I ended Selling that 3/8" Oil catch can and Purchased another one ~► Here, this time I Double Checked that it Really said 5/8" Fittings.

The New (Squared) Oil Catch can Came, Built in Thick Aluminium and it has the Right 5/8" Threaded Holes... but Again, it also came with 3/8" Fittings! :banghead:

Could you Believe That? ... Maybe Lightning Strikes Twice! (as Iron Maiden Said)

But this time I was Lucky, because since the New Catch can came with 5/8" Threaded Holes, I was Able to obtain both 5/8" fittings using Brass couplers; the new catch can isn't restrictive at all, maybe because is Huge and surprisingly Heavy weighted to be made of aluminium...

I believe the builders exagerated using such thick aluminium there! ... it must be Renamed as: Oil Catch Tank.

Kind Regards.

Here you can see Both Together:

The Upper one in the Picture (Roundy) with 3/8" Threaded Holes,

is the one I Sold new, unused. 

The other one (Squared) is the one with the 5/8" Threaded Holes; 

that last one is already on my EA82 Wagon:

OilCatchCans.gif