Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm going to look at a 99 Outback, AT, 180k. Blown HGs, has been driven repeatedly overheated for about the past year. So the engine is "well done". :lol:

Timing belt and other odds and ends done at 125k by local dealer.

Decent tires, minor body damage scratches/scrape from a parking lot incident. Leather, but some dog chew marks. Dual roof.

What do you guys say its worth?

This might be a decent keeper, though I would prefer a manual trans. I'm after a wagon of some sort, I was actually looking for a Forester, but this one popped up for a seemingly decent asking price of $1,000. I figure if I wave some cash around he might come down another couple hundred.

I actually saw the same one on craigslist. I e-mailed him and he answered some of my questions, but not all of them. The description sounds pretty good as far as the rest of the car goes, but beware of a seller that would drive around on an overheating engine for a period of time. If they would do that, they would probably let other things go too. I think you are right on target if you can get it for around $800 (or less). My Dad bought a 96 LSI for a couple hundred bucks cheaper, nice interior (leather) sunroof, all power options, blown head gasket, a couple of minor dings.

A forester? I had one of those for a little while. Pretty cramped for back seat passengers compared to a Legacy. Near impossible to find a rear facing car seat that fits decently (reason we sold ours). Don't get me wrong, the Forester is a nice car, just not right for my family.

In our NW- Subaru-prolific area $1K is a very good deal for a Legacy OB w/bad HG's. Sounds like a Limited trim, so even better.

I've 'flipped' about 3 of these and paid over $1500 each time- even after talking 'em down a bit.

I've heard/read the same complaint of the Forester's rear seats, too.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

I actually saw the same one on craigslist. I e-mailed him and he answered some of my questions, but not all of them. The description sounds pretty good as far as the rest of the car goes, but beware of a seller that would drive around on an overheating engine for a period of time. If they would do that, they would probably let other things go too. I think you are right on target if you can get it for around $800 (or less). My Dad bought a 96 LSI for a couple hundred bucks cheaper, nice interior (leather) sunroof, all power options, blown head gasket, a couple of minor dings.

A forester? I had one of those for a little while. Pretty cramped for back seat passengers compared to a Legacy. Near impossible to find a rear facing car seat that fits decently (reason we sold ours). Don't get me wrong, the Forester is a nice car, just not right for my family.

I looked about 3 days ago and didn't see it. Looked back today for kicks and noticed it and somehow, a week after it was first listed, he still has it? Probably not in as great shape as he says. And you're absolutely right about the lack of TLC. Letting HGs go for that long, what else has been ignored? He said the tires are "new" which I don't particularly like. I think I'd much rather see old tires on an awd soob.

Forester is built on the Impreza platform which makes sense that it might feel a bit "small" inside. I'm not hauling a family around though, I'm more interested in the cargo space and the utilitarian aspect. The back seats would probably be folded down all the time with my tools and random car crap scattered all around the back of it. :lol:

Have set up to see this thing on Wed. I doubt it's going to be a tough decision. :rolleyes:

$500-$750 if it's in really nice shape. if it was overheated for a year and is an auto trans then it's possible the ATF has been overheated too. not sure how hot the ATF gets if the engine and coolant is overheating but it's piped through the rad. if that's pushing dangerous ATF temps then i'd be more cautious.

lean towards a legacy. they offer little over a legacy. they're less desirable in my area, no one wants them making them harder to resell. not that you plan on reselling it but still. foresters are nice though, so nothing wrong with finding a good deal on one.

Edited by grossgary

Hey Gary, I like my forester. It is a bit cramped in the back, but I love the drivers seat positioning. Our Outback is the car for family trips. Definitely has more room in the back.

I would offer the guy 7 or 800. You may need to replace the entire engine and that is going to cost. I bought my wifes limited with a blown HG for 1000. bt it was in very good condition and the engine was easily fixed.

Go and see the car and listen to the motor and see if it is worth the work and funds. Personally, I hate the damage that dogs can cause and the visible stuff is worse ahd more than difficult to repair. People keep their kids from spilling in the car, but they let their dogs go nuts and basically destroy the interior. I don't understand that mentality. I bought a 98 limited for 500 with blown HG's and such bad wet dog smell inside that I ended up having to part out the car. I couldn't get the smell out. It was a nauseating smell. Beautiful car otherwise.

Good luck.

Hey Gary, I like my forester. .
you're right, there's little difference really, i changed my wording. i'm just miffed how hard this one i have is to sell...i can move legacy's to the first test driver usually.

such bad wet dog smell inside that I ended up having to part out the car. I couldn't get the smell out.
ah, wish i would have known that. an ozone generator would have done it, they're amazing. they actually neutralize organic odors and it's a gas so it gets in every passage, nook, and space. smoke, animal, mold, mildew. local tool/equipment rental places carry them and you can order them online and mail them back. clean it out, let it run overnight in a vehicles interior and then run the HVAC for a while too. make sure you get the foot carpet pads and underneath of them exposed. Edited by grossgary

[...] an ozone generator would have done it, they're amazing. they actually neutralize organic odors and it's a gas so it gets in every passage, nook, and space. smoke, animal, mold, mildew. [...]

If the ozone doesn't quite do it, you can stuff a couple of activated charcoal wafers or cubes under the seats, and change them out periodically.

thing is the ozone works every time. it's interesting how it works...something about ionizing the actual molecules...and being a gas it gets into and reacts with everything, that's why it works %100 of the time even on stuff considered impossible by any other method. next time you need it - try it, they're great.

one confusing point is that "studies" say things like "There's no conclusive evidence that it works within the limits suggested by the EPA" - or something like that. but these machines crank out...and here's the part you need to be careful about...LETHAL amounts of it. it's extremely dangerous but so is gas if you drink it! you don't mess around or take chances, but the people and research that say it doesn't work don't test the toxic levels necessary to accomplish this.

i run a power cord, have everything ready, hit the button, close the door and leave it overnight then let it air out. i'm not sure "how long it takes", i've always just left it overnight as i'm renting it and don't want to risk not getting it all.

it's used extensively by folks in the fire restoration business, car business, mold and mildew restorations, etc and i'm surprised fewer folks are aware of it.

if it was overheated for a year and is an auto trans then it's possible the ATF has been overheated too. not sure how hot the ATF gets if the engine and coolant is overheating but it's piped through the rad. if that's pushing dangerous ATF temps then i'd be more cautious.

THAT is why I posted this here. :banana: I had not thought about that. I know to check the ATF, but overheated fluid yet hadn't crossed my mind. ATF that is overheated by just 10°F deteriorates at almost double the normal rate. Engine and transmission replacement, probably not gonna happen unless I can get it real cheap. Come to think of it, that might be why it's still in the guys driveway. :lol:

You may need to replace the entire engine and that is going to cost.

NO WAY I'd repair the engine. Just too much risk IMO. And it's not really worth a rebuild unless it was something I really wanted to use it for, like a franken-motor, or some other project for my own personal use. This would be a 2.2 swap, unless I found a known good 2.5 (like out of a wrecked car) to drop in it.

Dogs in the car is one of my biggest pet peeves. (no pun intended) I just can't stand it. The smell, the fur, the dirt, all gets thoroughly ground into every surface. There is no way to get all the fur out. I swear it's just simply not possible. The interior will probably be the make or break for me.

The more I think about it the less I think I wanna dig into this honestly. I'll give it a chance, but I'm with you guys thinking 5-700 maybe 8 tops if it turns out to be in better shape body/interior-wise than I'm picturing it.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice guys!

my little chirp here.. You already have a stinkin bias against this car. It is suitable for parts. That's it Because as soon as it's :-\ (possibly) in your possession, somebody else gets the one you were really looking for AND somehow you meet that person AND they are hauling dogs :headbang:

my little chirp here.. You already have a stinkin bias against this car. It is suitable for parts. That's it Because as soon as it's :-\ (possibly) in your possession, somebody else gets the one you were really looking for AND somehow you meet that person AND they are hauling dogs :headbang:

:lol: That would be my luck too!

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Actually this thing wasn't that bad. Much cleaner than he made it sound on the phone. White with the gold Outback trim, black leather interior that was surprising nice. Dirty, but nice. Not all scratched/marred like you expect to see leather that has been ravaged by claws. The carpets weren't covered in fur. A bit of odor, but it was more like a "just needs to be vacuumed and shampooed once" kinda smell. The dog chew mark was on the passenger rear door handle, and it looked pretty easily repairable.

Body was straight. The only dents were a very shallow crease in the passenger door which was from the parking lot incident. No rust, the dog legs were clean. Typical rust on bolt heads underneath, but I didn't crawl around underneath it I just kneeled down and took a peak. Paint on the bumpers was chipped/flaking off, which is typical of a cheap bumper repair.

Wheels actually weren't peeling, which I think is a miracle around here.

Tires were pretty well shot actually. I must have misheard him on the phone or something. Both fronts were worn down to almost no tread on the inside edges. Rears looked good, even tread, and not much more tread left than the fronts so the uneven wear might have been a more recent thing. Worn tie rod ends or something of that nature. Brakes looked good rotors were not grooved, and although rusty, did not appear to be all that old. Trans fluid was ok. Old, but not burnt.

Engine, I asked if it would start at all, he said it would not even crank, so I didn't even try. Whole thing was pretty well covered in grease and oil, especially the bottom. Like that's a surprise. :lol:

I offered $750, which he politely refused. He seemed adamant that he could get $1000 for it from someone else who apparently hasn't seen the car yet. Just told him to call me if it didn't work out, so I'll see what happens. I'm not entirely sure I want to get into a project right now (too damn cold out), so I'm not in any rush to buy right away. If someone else snatches it up, so be it. There's plenty more where it came from. :lol: