Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can not find anything on here about VDC, maby some one here has the same problem. 2001 Outback 3.0 with VDC. Yesterday pulled out of parking lot and about a 1/2 mile down the road my check engine light and VDC off light came on. I saw nothing wrong under the hood, still had awd in the snow, brakes and steering are fine. Nothing strange or different about the way it drives. Turned off car and restarted thinking it might reset but light showing VDC off was still there. Only problem I hate about the car is whenever we have a little deep snow is how bad it packs between the rear tires and body that every time you hit a bump or make a turn you can hear it dig in and scrap the snow back there. And thats with new springs and struts. No matter how much you chip it out it comes right back. Maby they should make heated wheel wells. lol OK guys whats the answer. Will the light be off today when I go out and restart it ??? And if not what could be the problem ??? How do you turn this VDC back on, I dont see any button or switch. Please let the answer be its not gonna cost me more money. thanks

VDC is disabled any time there's an engine, transmission, or ABS problem that would affect vehicle control. Since the ABS apparently wasn't affected, that system is less likely to be involved. As has been mentioned, getting the OBD-II code read is a good place to start.