Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sears large toolbox's on sale - anyone with the 23 drawer 52" - link

davebugs

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009H0016000B?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

WIll be 1k starting sun for Craftsman Club members, I believe usually a week after that they are in the normal add. Other boxes on sale also (It's cmas!).

Anyone have this large griplatch box that was a new product a few years ago? It goes on sale about one time per year for half price.

Although I have't been in the garage in a year I'd like to get all my crap into one pile!

My cmas choices to myself are this box, or the Best Buy Sony 46" LED TV and PS3 combe for 1,300. I'm an old computer guy, but have never played a computer game. I suppose I could sale the PS3.

Thoughts on Sears boxes? I have a few mid sized better quality ones and a few of those cheap 2 piece 100.00 ones that I use as cart usually.

The better quality one is 20 years old and seems to be doing fine with slide drawers.

I've been checking CL for Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell. I do have carts from those guys and like them.

Sears boxes are built by Kennedy and are actually pretty nice. In fact, some of them are as nice as anything built by Snap-On or Matco. But they are a LOT cheaper. $1500 is a pretty decent price for that. Something comparable from Snap-On or Matco is gonna be more like $3-4,000. I haven't seen the Excel box from Costco in person. But I know that Costco used to carry Homak boxes. Those are pretty decent, too. Come to think of it, the construction of that Excel box looks an awful lot like Homak construction.

Both of those boxes look like pretty good deals. Especially if the Craftsman box is going on sale. At the prices listed, I'd likely go for the excel box. But if the Craftsman box is going on sale in a week or so, I'd do that. Its 10" wider and wider is still better. Also has 2 more drawers.

The other thing you might do is keep your eye on govliquidation.com. They frequently have good boxes, you just have to go get them.

Thanks for the feedback.

My "local" Costco is 50 miles. And the boxes that Sams club, Tractor Supply, and HF have don't excite me much.

That 23 drawer box for "Craftsman Club" members starting today for 7 days is 999.98 - a heck of a deal. I can't find anything used to touch that on CL or from one of the truck guys in used. Sure for all out price I may be able to beat that. But I would like decent quality.

Haven't decided yet. But started making room to atleast be able to unload it if I get it home. We've got crappy weather heading our way for several days.

FYI Usually the craftsman club thing just pre-runs standard sale fliers. So don't be surprised if it's inthe Sears flier and on the website in a week or so. Currently there is zero feedback on the Sears site.

Ordered the box tonight for 999.98 - black only. Blue was another 500 and stainless another 500 on top of that.

Should be in on friday.

If you're looking for a box it's the best deal I've found for a large box of apparent decent quality. Atleast for a non-professional.

I typically recommend watching Craigslist for a used Snap-On box. Often can get them for less than half the cost of a new one and they usually have the accessories that really add up with them like the drawer edge guards, cover, stainless steel top, etc.

BTW I highly recommend avoiding their butcher block tops. A few guys over the years have bought those in shops I worked at and they were ugly in very little time. It only takes one idiot to set a half full power steering pump or valve cover on it and leave a stain.

I like this thread. I always recommend buying used, as Shawn does, Snap-On. It is an investment, one can always selll for a premium a used Snap-On.

Buy used Snap on for half off, use it, sell it for what you paid for it.

I could not afford that, and bought some cheap "Stack-On by Remline" I would never be able to sell it for anything close to what i paid for it (200). If i could have, i would have bought Snap-On.

Sears is usually good. Just know it is for you to use and keep, it has no marketable re-sale value after you are done with it.

I did get a used Waterloo top box from Craigslist. wish i had the bottom half to it.

wish i had money for this today http://desmoines.craigslist.org/tls/2111579401.html

Edited by bheinen74

I typically don't exactly take the cheap way out.

But I gotta tell you atleast around here on CL and the truck guys still want atleast a couple k for the same sized boxes that are well used.

I have Snapon, Matco, and Cornwell carts and some boxes. Over the past year I just haven't been able to find anything close to a deal. Or more appropriately close to the 1k I was willing to pay for another toolbox.

If a deal is 3k for a box that retails for 6k that didn't interest me.

I don't need a tajmahal. Just a good decent box. Not trying to impress anyone, just a good servicable box. I have a smaller Sears Professional set that's probably 20 years old that's still in excellent shape and definately well used.

Time will tell , as usual.