Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBS will not start Electrical problems FIXED

I'm in Wisconsin and a friend has a 98 OBS that will not start. It turns over and fires but will not stay running. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn on the key. The CEL is on, but I don't have a code reader available.

Some additional background. The Son wired in a new radio, not so well as when they did it, the four corner running lights always stayed on. They had to pull the 15 amp fuse in the engine fuse box to get it to go out. They also lost the dash lights.

The car was running after the installation of the new radio, so I don't believe they fried the computer.

I cut out their radio wiring and that took care of the running lights staying on, but they still do not have dash lights.

Anyone have a 98 OBS wiring manual you could email to me?

Lmdew@hotmail.com

When I crank to start the car the CEL and Battery lights go out but then flash on and off, like I've never seen. I know I need to get the codes, but I have to find a reader.

Thanks, Larry

Yellow/Blue wire at the radio is the ground for all of the backlights, Gauge Cluster, Radio, Heat Control, Switches on the Gauge trim.

All good now, Thanks for the help and the wire diagrams.

Edited by lmdew

'97-'98 Impreza FSM:

http://www.ludicrous-speed.com/automotive/impreza/fsm/Impreza_1997-1998/

-- or (as PDF) --

http://www.ej207.com/files/Subaru%20Factory%20Service%20Manuals/97-98%20Impreza%20Factory%20Service%20Manual/1997-1998_impreza.pdf

Lack of dash lights could be simple wiring or fuse problem, or blown illumination control.

Edited by OB99W

A friend of mine has a VW which is notorious (for some reason) of not starting.

It would be better if not all the freakin headlamps and stuff weren't lighting up at the precious moments of cranking. It is befowled in some way and so is yours. Defeating the illumination of the problem is not always correct for there is architecture in these wiring schemes and a balance sometimes required. Then base falls and presents the brain to go a certain way.

It is probably in active alarm mode and working itself in a frenzy with no output.

Some additional background. The Son wired in a new radio, not so well as when they did it, the four corner running lights always stayed on. They had to pull the 15 amp fuse in the engine fuse box to get it to go out. They also lost the dash lights.

Any possibility, the Son flipped the "newby" switch on the steering column when he installed the radio? That would light up the running lights as described.

Dash lights - You let the magic smoke out of the light controller. This controls the dash lights. It looks like a relay on the drivers side kick panel.

Why didn't you/they use a wiring adapter, it avoids this. That is not a cheap little black box. Find it here or in a scrap yard.

You need to rent a code reader, other wise we are just guessing blindly.

nipper

I left the battery negative cable off over night and charged the battery. It started right up today.

Zero volts on fuse 5 in the interior CB panel so I have to look at the wires.

What can I say, college kids thought it was easy and they could cut all the wires at once, with the battery hooked up. Live and learn.

Thanks, Larry

I left the battery negative cable off over night and charged the battery. It started right up today.

Zero volts on fuse 5 in the interior CB panel so I have to look at the wires.

What can I say, college kids thought it was easy and they could cut all the wires at once, with the battery hooked up. Live and learn.

Thanks, Larry

I know it is a little late to tell you now. Several companies sell stereo installation kits. It makes installation of an after market radio real simple. Simply remove the original radio, then plug in the the installation kit harness into wiring into the car's wiring system. This eliminates any wire cutting that the college kids did.