Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird: pulls left when accelerating, pulls right when letting off accelerator

TPain

Ball joints and radius rod bushings are easy to fix together. I would just do both at the same time for the ease of labor. Its nice to know they are done. Subies have a 'little bit' of torque steer too.

A steering rack issue would show itself when braking by steering wheel wobble.

Pulling during accel and deccel is from a change in caster measurements. When the tire shifts back under accel, the caster lowers on that side causing the pull to go to that side. I would bet its going to be either ball joints or radius rod bushings.

I almost never see a wobble caused by an alignment under braking. Its usually a pulsating rotor. If the rack bushings were the culprit, the OP would complain of the steering wheel being off center after going through a hard turn, will usually be off to the side they were just turning.

If the tie rods/ends were worn out, it would cause a toe out issue while driving straight and cause the steering wheel to be off center as well.

• Like 1

Well, didn't want to run through the whole thread, but I have three theories and I know one of them is right...

Tiresize or pressure

balancepole bushings :D

And the thing my 86 leone went through, bushings for the diff, I got myself some hard POM plasting bushings and my car stopped turning left or right when pulling or letting off

Well, thats one good guess from Northwet. Another would be the steering rack mount rubber has slipped out and is letting the rack move up and down which changes the toe-in.

Ed

I've had that happen on mine as well on one side. It did do the pulling either way while accelerating/decelerating. Also it gave a loud clunk at times during steering and getting on and off the gas.

After it happened a couple times in a row. (I had to fix it almost every time I took it out) I took the bracket that clamps it down and layed a couple weld beads along it to give it a bit of bite into the rubber. Grips great now and the rubber bushing has not slipped out in over a year.

Yeah big thing is just poke around under there. Any worn out/loose part of the front suspension or steering could cause all kinds of alignment issues that can change depending on if you are braking or accelerating.

So check anything you can get your hands on.

And be sure to just check for loose bolts too. Never know. Could be that easy.

Good luck. :)

• 1 year later...

Had to chime in here for anyone else who searches these symptoms. My 87 GL wagon EA82 would pull hard to the right on acceleration, then veer left when I let off the go pedal. The right outer tierod joint had stripped threads: only thing holding it on the car was the cotter pin. D'oh! I still have it hanging on my wall of shame.

Scot

• 4 years later...