Ultimate Subaru Message Board

driving without a hood - or vote for which way to transport

i'm sure there's a good reason not to do this:

1. what say ye to driving my 2002 OBW without a hood? i have a hood at my parents house 200 miles away i want to get back to my place.

i'm thinking about removing my OBW hood, driving there without a hood, then bolt the other hood in place when i get there for the drive back home (weather permitting of course).

i can't think of a time i've seen a car drive without a hood....maybe there's a good reason for that? :lol:

illegal, plain stupid, etc? rocks getting into engine?

2. the OBW has a roof rack so i could entertain strapping the hood to the roofrack too. that sounds too simple. :lol:

Edited by grossgary

In some jurisdictions, driving without a hood is illegal. IIRC, the usual reason is that it is considered hazardous to pedestrians... :eek: (I think that mostly you don't see it because people are vain, especially about their cars.)

If the back of your car has space, you could probably put the old hood back there. The hoods on EA82 wagons fit in the back, but I haven't tried it with a NewGen. (yet.)

That whole "roof rack" thing would make me far too nervous to ever try it. I would never truly believe that it was strapped down enough to prevent it from becoming a HUGE throwing star.

Edited by NorthWet

Without the hood the aerodynamics change and you might see less MPG, but I don't think you'd have a problem as long as the weather is cold, the hood plays a big part in forcing air in and across the radiator and engine.

Are you sure it won't fit in the back of your wagon? Wrap it in a thick moving blanket and slide it in on an angel and (without me measuring it) I think you'd have a chance on getting it inside. Seems like a bit of work to remove, replace, remove and put original back on. Plus hood alignment is a pain sometimes, getting the hinges and front catch to match up. Strapping on top seems to be the best if it won't fit inside.

It might be illegal not to have a hood on but if you drove at night who would see it?

"But officer, I swear it was there when I started my trip!":lol:

I see people do it here all the time. Pretty sure it is illegal in VA though.

IF it won't fit in the back (I'd be willing to bet it will), strap it to the roof. Shiny side up just like it would be if it was mounted to the car. Might need to remove the safety catch if it has one.

Hoodless for 200 miles shouldn't hurt anything but gas mileage. FT mentioned possibility of it being illegal in VA. I have worked law enforcement for 12 years in VA and have not run across any laws regarding requiring a hood. If there is such a law, it was not included in my training. The only law regarding hoods that I can think of right off hand is a restriction on how tall hood scoops can be.

Re-alignment of the hood can be a challenge, make sure you mark around the hood bolts before removing them. It will make alignment easier when you go to put it back on.

I would try to see if you can fit it in the back first. It would be your best option providing you aren't carrying passengers in the back.

this thread was at least worth the humor and insight! i've swapped a number of hoods before so installing won't be an issue.

That whole "roof rack" thing would make me far too nervous to ever try it. I would never truly believe that it was strapped down enough
yeah that's me, i'd be constantly thinking about it.

if you drove at night who would see it?
it'll have to be day time this trip.

"But officer, I swear it was there when I started my trip!"
that's awesome. :lol:

it did fit in the back of my parents van, but it would have to be with seats down or angled up in the wagon, not possible with family, child seat in the back, luggage, etc. the projectile feel would be a bit sketchy to me. after it's loaded we have 500 miles of driving to do after that, not going straight back home.

Edited by grossgary

I see people here in Tucson driving around without hoods all the time. The only thing that would concern me is people tampering with my engine / stealing my battery. But if you are just going from A to B that wouldn't be an issue.

I also don't really see an issue with strapping the hood to the luggage rack.. just get a good pair of ratchet straps and figure out how to make a good "X" strap. (hook points: Front Left, Rear Right and Front Right, Rear Left.)

I live in OR so I might be somewhat biased..... :drunk:

I've seen people drive around with much more than just the hood missing. Doors, fenders..... you name it I've probably seen it. We've got some real winners out this way..... I might be one of them :lol:

+1 on the ratchet straps and the roof rack. If it blows off..... HAMMER DOWN! :dead:

GD

Well then, If its legal in VA, I don't see any reason it would be illegal in WV. :lol:
YES indeed! :lol: actually i'll be driving only a little bit in WV and then 3 hours in Maryland.

i agree that it should strap in place just fine but i'm still a little timid on it. plus we're driving 500 miles after i get it and using the vehicle a lot - so simpler to just have it out of the way. if i was coming straight back i'd save myself the effort probably.

Edited by grossgary

They frown on in in PA. Had a nice discussion with the officer.

I had bought a wrecked 95 Legacy and took it up and down the road to check out the engine and trans. First trip Bungy's broke, hood flew up, smashed windsield, and I was driving with my head out the window at 55mph until I could find a place to pullover (on the left - or course - the only side I could see).

So I removed the hood. Yea - drove by a cop. The smashed windshield might have caught his eye... Interesting discussion followed...

For hood alignment (and other alignments like when doing struts) I keep a can of dollar store spray paint. I paint the critical area. Sore beats trying to follow any kind of paint stick mark since I never really seem to be able to get the whole way into the corners. This handles that. Now I wouldn't be doing it on a 2010 or anything, but it sure works.

I ratchet strapped a hood to the roof of my GL a little while ago. Got it nice and tight and it didn't go anywhere.

I've transported a small boat on the roof of my car for a 600 mile drive, and some other weird things on the roofs of my cars for long distances with strange looks aplenty and nary a issue.

I dont know about in WV I would check with local and state law enforcement simple call will give you the answers your looking for but I know in minnesota it is illegal to drive a car without a hood on it my brother in law got a ticket for driving a 79 t-bird without a hood on it I think somthing to do with saftey because the hood is a vital part of the car if you got into an accident without one the car would crumple alot worse then with one

The main reason I can see it being illegal is engine fire. If your engine catches fire under the hood, the fire will be somewhat contained, without a hood it'll be a lot more violent a fire because it'll get all the air it wants.

It'll also be over a lot quicker and save the FD from having to pry the hood open which isn't nearly as fun as it may seem. Now, the Jaws of Life on the other hand.........:D

And a hell of a lot better light show!

Former fire fighter

I was talking to a firefighter last week about car fires actually. He said now all the trucks where he works are equipped with this axe thing with a hose attached to it. They pound it into the hood and it just injects water right onto the engine and bay.