Ultimate Subaru Message Board

line to line is not a quart on the trans

i was a bit low on fluid, got a rear output shaft seal drip.

anyway - it was below the lower line and i figured line-to-line was a quart like with engine oil.

one quart filled it WAY over the top.

anyone know what it is between the marks, is there a standard like with engine oil?

I learned this lesson too the hard way like you. I finally figured out, and also read here on this forum that low to high on the ATF dip stick is only a pint. Suggest you drain the extra pint from your trany. There is a screw in drain plug on the bottom of the trany pan to drain the fluid. Looks just like the drain plug on the oil pan.

Sucky toy!!

I have a Pella. Excellent to use for this (as well as oil changes on a lot of cars - on my VW I get MORE out with sucky toy than pulling the plug).

Last Suby ATF level I had to mess with I got a little smarter. Layed the Pella tube next to the ATF dipstick and marked the level with a litlte tape. Then I knew just how far down the tube to jamb the pickup tube. I HATE ATF level checking. That's why I usually check the level with the old fluid, measure what I drain, and add back the same amount. Old fluid is so much easier to read.

Great gizmo. IIR mine was like 60 bucks years ago. Looks kinda like an old "party ball" beer keg. Sold a lot by marine places.

i've done tons of AT stuff, it's actually really easy to drain partial fluid out the bottom. just hold the drain plug while unthreading, it actually doesn't come out that fast at all, easy to control....even when it was 30 degrees and i was doing this all outside.

DANG DAVE - i have a freaking fluid exchanger like you said, i didn't even think to use that. CRACK HEAD. thanks!