Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jacking up the rear, left side is heavier???

Jacking up the rear, left side is heavier???

Playing "try to find the noise" game, when I put my SUV jack on the rear end, dead center and jack it up. The right side was off the ground a good 6-8in and the left was still touching.

Figured that was due to the driveway crown for rain run off, so I turn it around the other way, jack dead center and it does it again.

The right side is off the ground and the left still touches.

Anyone else come across this?

Could that be a sign of a blown strut or something?

Had to jack on the frame where a lift pad would go to get the left side up.

pretty sure i've seen this on newer cars too, i'm sure others will have a fresher memory though.

should be able to tell if it's just the struts extending making the difference or if it's actually "leaning" the entire vehicle to the left, memory seems to suggest they 'lean' to the left sometimes.

What are you using as a jack point for "dead center?" It could be possible that the fuel tank is slightly off-set and when it starts leaning so does the fuel. That would make the left side a lot more heavy. Which side is the filler neck on? Do you have any cargo that could be making it lean that way?

In the U.S., most cars will be heavier on the drivers side. No steering wheel, pedals, brake booster, (power seat if you have it), etc, etc.

Yeah, left will always be heavier. Next time you see a Road and Track magazine, check out the spec box on a full vehicle review. The weight distribution will favor the driver's side, 9 out of 10 times.

Mine is a 96 OBW. I always jack up the rear at the center of the rear differential in my garage which has a level floor. I've never noticed such a big difference between left/right side as the original poster mentioned. One side might be 2 inches higher/lower than the other but not 8 inches. I jacked up the rear end once or twice a year to rotate tires. Been doing this since 1996.