Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is a complete, running, 86 GL-10 worth $200?

Hey guys,

A friend of mine offered to sell me the car--he's moving and selling all of his "junk".

I drive an '88 GL D/R with a tired motor. At first I thought I would just swap the motors...but I really don't want the turbo nightmare. Still, I believe that car has rear disk brakes and a LSD, right?

So I ask you: Will those disks and diff swap onto my beloved wagon? Will that diff, when mated to my Dual-Range be better off road? I like exploring the fire roads and beaches around here but it's nothing crazy.

The tranny is the push button type and the motor still runs ok. There is rust but it's only on the places where the paint is chipped.

Anyway, do I buy it and part it out or should I turn my back?

I have two sedan GLX Leone '86, one I got for $400, one for $150, and I just bought one more two days ago for $200. Buy it, if you can't use it... then just part it. You can see if it has a LSD on the back of the diff, should be a sticker on it, and if there will be a LSD, your wagon will be better offroad. Just make sure that the gear ratio is the same. The LSD probably has 3.9, bur some have 3.7. And yours probably have 3.9. Just compare the stickers in the back of the diff.

The rear disk conversion isn't hard, almost plug n' play. Just get new rotors and new pads and if you want to, you can put a nissan brakepump with e-brake so you can get an rear e-brake, saw a thread about it a while back.

Buy it. drive it. "rust'where the paint chipped off is nothing to junk a car for, whencars onthe road have HOLES rusted through them where i come from. I know someone who sold a rusty midwest gl in califiornia. That seems like an impossible feat.

for 200 bucks you would be a fool to pass it up...

Buy it, steal the rear disks, and any other parts better than what you have (example being seats, tires, etc), then sell it for more than you paid and use the money to either:

Buy an EJ swap (like a rear ended 92 legacy or something....)

or

Buy a less tired used EA82 engine and plop it in your 88. I have been through the turbo nightmare twice and the cars are nice when they work well and are maintained... but once they get to this age you have to really keep an eye on them.

Well, I drove to his place and looked it over. It doesn't have the LSD. It started right up but has a miss. What i didn't know was that it doesn't have a clear title.

Rear discs are the only thing I'd use and not worth 200 bucks to me.

Thanks for the input.

buy it.steal rear disks.Part rest of car,then scrap car body.depending on scrap prices you may get like 100 just for the shell.Then you just need to sell ~ 60 worth of parts to break even.

plus the car will usually have some gas in the tank unless someone drained it...