Ultimate Subaru Message Board

steering wheel wobble/ break peddle wobble

hey just wondeing what you think this is ? get a pulsation on the steering wheel and barly on the brake peddle when breaking moderatly. do you think this is just the break roters being unballanced? when i pull this apart to see what the roters look like what should i look for?

It sounds like classic symptoms of a warped rotor. I don't know you would be able to see it with the naked eye, but you can certainly tell if they are scorched or gouged.

Dan

what are the sliders? and how could they warp the rotors?

Those are the pins that the calipers slide on. The calipers are basically giant clamps. Rotors warp either because of hard spots in mfg, sudden cooling after being EXTREEMLY hot (like a dragging caliper), or a dragging caliper. You may not notice a dragging caliper when you change the pads. Always clean and lubricate the sliders at every pad change. Use brake grease, it comes with the better pads. Dragging caliper can heat the rotor too much.

Hows the rubber? Because I just went through this. I was hunting down snowtires in my buddys subaru parts graveyard.. I had discovered snow tires that had like 90 percent tread, and those thing were light braking wobble, over 40 wobble over 50 death roll. come to find out they were retreds, Discount tire two brand new ones problem solved