Ultimate Subaru Message Board

set up the timing belt correctly but still back fires wont start

If you are overheating, then parhaps this car had a blown headgasket as the reason for it being a free car to you.

Make sure to check for either steam out the tailpipe, milkshake in the oil, or bubles in the radiator.

If you have coolant in the oil, and it hasnt mixed, you would get coolant to come out if you drained the oil, since the oil floatson top.

You mightbe able to get by with a can of block sealer, at least in the case of bubbles in the radiator or steam out the tailpipe.

If you have milkshake, its time to pull the heads.

But don't rule out bad intake gaskets, as this will create a gross vacuum leak, or introduce coolant into the intake and therefore lose it out the tailpipe, and will simulate a blown HG by its symptoms, except that there will be no effect on the compression.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had to add coolant, or are you just running the coolant that was in it? was the radiator or hoses apart on it at any time? It could just be air in the system.

1. burp all the air out and add coolant. Use a new thermostat

2. look for bubbles in radiator after burping

3. compression check to verify low compression

4 if no, you should be good with one more burp. if yes, try a can of block sealer(using clean water to apply, after flushing out all coolant, and follow the directions on the bottle

if that doesn't do it, then prepare to pull the heads.

yeah thats what i thought i was thinking it doesnt look right when i got it cause i was thinking something is missing and i was wondering why one fan is over there and one big area with no fan in there ill have to run to the junk yard to find one

possibly pull off all the parts out of there just in case like fi throttle body , and some misc stuff

other than that it runs good above 1500 rpm but falls on its face if i hammer it so has to be a air leak somewhere or something is off somewhere

...possibly pull off all the parts out of there just in case like fi throttle body , and some misc stuff ...

That's Good Idea.

To address a Vacuum Leak, just Spray Carb Cleaner around and see if the Idle increases / Decreases.

But first I Kindly Suggest you to put the Missing fan there to Avoid dangerous Overheating.

Kind Regards.

On USA specification cars, there typically is NOT an engine driven fan there unless it has air conditioning or is a turbo model.

The good news is that without that fan there (and probably without A/C) you can do a pretty quick check if the radiator is plugged. These radiators typically plug in horizontal bands across the radiator, so when it is warm (t-stat is open) you can run your palm across the radiator core top to bottom, looking for areas that feel cold when others feel hot.

did a vaccum test everything looks fine and no engine idle increase or decrease with a carb cleaner even along the intake and every where i could find with hoses so it has to be something else maybe the iac or something that is not working right

new fan installed, still over heat will pull other parts off from another car throttle body and radiator and other things i might will need

the subaru is running perfectly replaced maf it didnt work correctly then slapped on the spfi all from a junk yard and its running beautifully will not fall on its face when i stab the throttle but it has a minor quirks but driveable

the only issue i have right now is the radiator its plugged cold in middle

hot on top and bottom so will replace it and hopefully no more overheating problem

and one other thing is i cant figure out why is the parking lights still on when i turned all lights off

its staying on on the brake light and the side marker so i have to un hook battery so it will not kill the battery

Edited by soobies

...and one other thing is i cant figure out why is the parking lights still on when i turned all lights off

its staying on on the brake light and the side marker so i have to un hook battery so it will not kill the battery

Welcome to Subarus! The parking lights are on because of a rocker-switch on top of the steering column... affectionately referred to as the "virgin switch". This allows you to keep the parking lights on when the ignition is off.

Welcome to Subarus! The parking lights are on because of a rocker-switch on top of the steering column... affectionately referred to as the "virgin switch". This allows you to keep the parking lights on when the ignition is off.

hrm... ill check on the top of the column

busted a hose on upper on left the parking lights is solved and i feel like an idiot now it will not kill my battery.. i didnt know until someone posted on here saying check the top column on the sub.. now the lights are off