Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch issue

I drive a 1988 subaru gl 4wd 4spd dual range, with 54,000 miles on it. I just put a new clutch disk in it. The reason i put a new disk in was because the car wouldn't go at all when the car was in gear. With the new clutch, It will start in neutral, but when i try to put in all gears it wont go and reverse grinds. I can put the car in gear and then start it and it goes but then wont come out of gear and stalls. Whats the problem? Thanks for the help in advance!:grin:

My moms 98 Outback wagon had a similar problem. My buddy found out the clutch fork literally warped itself and snapped joints in 2 places. When you pushed the clutch in, the fork would go slightly left and in. Not enough to engage the clutch, but enough to provide slight resistance. We had no clue what was going on until we noticed the clutch fork moving strange.

Check and make sure everything going to the clutch fork is good, then check the fork itself to see if its even moving the TO bearing.