Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transplant Idea

Firespray401

Over on Nasioc a guy has been putting an EJ255 into a Porsche Boxster.

Click here to see thread.

Sweet project with tons of fabrication. I believe he plans on selling a kit car so he is not making it crazy expensive.

Sooo last night I was watching that top gear show and they had a Pontiac Fiero. That seems like it would be a sweet mid engine chassis to transplant a sweet Subaru engine into. :banana:

1988_Pontiac_Fiero_GT.jpg

The Boxster is already set up for a Flat, Longitudally mounted engine.

The Pontiac uses a Transverse layout like most FWD cars, just set into the rear. You definately couldn't use the pontiac trans.

Youd end up needing a Porsche or VW trans or a reverse cut gear set for a Subaru trans to turn it around.

Seems like WAAAAY too much work for me.

Now an old porsche 914 or a Karman Ghia:grin:

Yea, you'd have to convert to a longitudinal engine configuration. Which I HIGHLY doubt there's enough room in a fiero engine bay to do.

Keeping it mid engined, would mean the entire engine would be in front of the rear axle, which would mean you'd be cutting into the cockpit/seats I bet. Not practical.

or....convert it to rear-engined :eek:

And even if you were successful at either of those options....you've still got fiero suspension and electronics. bleh.

There are dozens of V6 and V8 options that work great in the fiero. Just stick with that, or get a 914 for you mid-engined Subaru option (My uncle has a '74 that I've been trying to get him to sell to me......one of these days....).

914 is the way to go my dad has one swapped with an EJ25 DOHC and a early legacy fwd five speed trans! The thing is amazingly fast! It's really nice to drive too, except the shift pattern is completely backwards :lol:

-SB

Wow that's awesome! I would be putting it in the wrong gears all day though. I saw a 914 yesterday on my way home, I forgot how small they are in person.