Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pastrana joins NASCAR

edrach

Son-of-a-grrrrrr...

I had heard rumors of this, but I guess its official now.

Is everybody bailing on Subaru or what?

One of us needs to become a famous rally car driver.

I volunteer as soon as somebody fully sponsors me through Rally School and

sponsors a car for me too :-p

Oh and also gives me full access to a test track and a rally prepped car for between races ;)

It'd be fun showing up the big boys with a USMB sponsored car.

And yes, I would request the back window be exclusively for a USMB vinyl.

Twitch

A bit OT but on a VW forum I frequent there was talk of NASCAR perhaps courting VW?

NASCAR hasn't even been good to watch since all the slick marketing guys showed up - like the last 10 years or so. The old characters were part of what made it. Now they are just mobile decals for marketing and a money grab.

Which is why if I attend a race these days it's on dirt.

Personally I believe NASCAR peaked several years ago and is simply looking for revenue any way they can rather than making their product better. Through new nameplates(Toyota), through high visibility drivers (Danika and now Pastrana), heck who's the guy driving for Ganassi that came from Formula One? He came for the money and basically stated as much when he made the switch.

The highly regulated quality of the races isn't very exciting. It's all about the money, including beer sales and marketing. Too bad.

This is really sad news. How can someone go from the COOLEST racing sport EVER, to the most BORING, LAME racing sport ever?

This is so surprising to me. NASCAR is evidence that we are devolving as a culture. ha ha.

I can't remember where I saw it (might have been a board member), but I like this quote:

"dirt is for racing; tarmac is just for getting there."

This is so surprising to me.

Really? This was COMPLETELY predictable. I mean seriously, he gave up the National Championship last year to go to Australia with the Nitro Circus crew.

Pastrana wasn't getting much competition here in the US. Really, there was a point last year where his speed factor was like 104, which theoretically isn't even possible.

He is not a die-hard rally guy, he's a motorsports guy. And his life is sponsored by Red Bull. Let's assume he's not going to leave them, so what's the next step? WRC? Red-bull already has Sebastian Loeb. Dakar? Carlos Sainz. And Subaru isn't in WRC at all....so he'd have to completely change teams, only to play backup to a much more famous (and possibly better...) driver.

The NASCAR redbull teams are not doing that great. Pastrana has said he's dreamed of driving for NASCAR his whole life.

Also, driving for NASCAR is a totally different thing than watching a bit on TV. it may only be left turns, but at 200mph.....yea. I even have a greater respect for it just playing a bit on GT5.

I was kind of expecting him to do some Monster Jam racing. But apparently his dabbling in that over the last couple years didn't spark his interest.

Edited by Numbchux

But dang. Rally racing is just so darn cool..

Agreed! But TP leaving doesn't change that. In fact, quite to the contrary...with Pastrana, Block, and L'estage officially not competing next year, there's a real chance that someone "new" is going to win it. That was a big reason why we were trying to make a push for nationals.....although we weren't able to come up with enough sponsor dollars to make it happen. maybe next year.

Maybe a Super Production car? Also, I don't know anything about him, but it seems that David Higgins (SRTUSAs second driver for next year) has the credentials to do very well.

Not to mention the 2WDs. Dillon van Way and Chris Duplessis both have new cars. Chris Greenhouse is always a hoot to watch in that poor old Neon. And I'm anxious to see who (if anyone :rolleyes: ) tries to compete in the Fiesta cup.

Unfortunately, I'm sure the loss of those big names will lead to the loss of a lot of spectators, which makes these events financially even more difficult.

We don't need Pastrana to have fun in the woods.