Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Todays Project

well i just got done stripping most of the vacume lines in my engine bay, looks much better, seems to run smoother, rev faster, and have more power sooner.

but i also noticed that i got a lifter tap. i had it before i messed with the stuff today, so i highly doubt its an exhaust leak.

also i put on a breather hooked with a T tot he two PCV breather vents on the heads, and is it normal for smoke to come out of the PCV's??

but, what do i have to do to fix the tap? i was thinking i have to pull the valve covers and do it with the engien in the car. but i then thought, why dont i also get a set of custom cams, and pull the engine while im at it.

then fix my oil leak, finish stripping the emmisions junk, put in the cams, and fix the lifters.

what do you guys reccomend i do, i know i ahve to fix my oil leak for sure, and the lifter tap since this car has to get me around town and such until july, when i am driving to arizona, and i have to have a very reliable car while im down there for college.

Thanks,

Shean

carfreak85, thanks for that heads up, just wanted to make sure it was ok.

sheif tim, ok, ill check into taht, but im used to my chevies, when the cars come with a PCV system, but all it does is gum up the carburator, so i just hooked them together to the breather rather then running a breather on each side like you do on chevies.

if i read that i am incorrect then ill change it, i just dont want to gum up my carb any sooner then i have to.

Shean

thanks man, i was wonderin about that thing, couldn't remember if i took that off my camaro or i left it, so i didn't touch it. tomarrow when my scooby goes to school ill tape off the rest of the crap

if anyone else sees something on there that i can toss please say so, and maybe circle it in the picture for reference.

you know the car sounds REALLY beastly when you have the exhaust open from those weird things that tie into the heads for exhaust recirculation.

it sounds VERY nice, i was thinking of leavin it like that. :D

Shean

When you remove the charcoal canister, do not put a cork in the line that vents the fuel tank, just leave it open and tuck it up by the strut tower. I didn't believe the guys on here that said plugging it can cause the fuel pump not to run due to vapor-lock. The car drove fine for so long I forgot about the plugged vent line...until I started having mysterious fuel pump voodoo. Qman was the one to ask if I had plugged that vent line. Yup that fixed it.

Hey get rid of that A/C crap you don't need that heavy stuff. Just kidding.

cheif tim, so what just run one hose back to the intake, and the other, keep the filter on and it will be fine?

Mike W, are you crazy about the A/C, im moving to arizona in july, the hottest darn time of the year, i know your kidding, but HECK NO, a/c is my friend.

but you know, i think i should have it chekced to see if it works or not, i still havent done that. it would suck if on the way down it didn't work. lol my luck.

Shean

torxxx and mike w- I assume that removing the canister is purely for visual apeal? there is absolutly no perfomance gain there for sure.

lets see here the canister holds excess fuel vapor then dumps it into the intake to be reburnt correct? so with it off you just vent that gas that you paid for to the atmosphere instead of burning it all. hmm mabey thaty clip is difficult to snap open and closed when you need to move the caister.

dont worry about the effects of your emissions component removal. your kids will be able to "fix" the effects of our generation.

sorry to go off here. I try to keep quiet about this kinda stuff but I have seen the results of our ignorance first hand.

as for your pcv/ crank case breather mods scooby

tim and Q tried to tell you that you cannot tap the pcv into the crankcase vent system. the crank case builds pressure from blowby gasses and needs to either vent them or reburn them. if you run the pvc straight to the crank case vent then where does the excess pressure go? out the oil cap if it fits loose or worse out the oil seals.

after looking at your pix closely I see you have not evin touched the pcv valve. those are the crankcase breathers. there are no ill effects (to your motor) from how you have it set up.

so which of the 4 lines from the vapor canister is the fuel vent?

oh,

Rallyruss take your hippie bull**** somewhere else..

Complain to all the people running diesels about the emissions. Or the 5 million 2 stroke snowmachines I see driving around alaska.

If you havent read other threads about removing this stuff, people have still passed IM tests with a de-emissioned hitachi and with the weber.

We are simply doing this to make our engine compartments look better. Nothing else.. No performance is gained from removing this stuff. I'm just sick of a vacumn line coming undone or having a leak and then my car runs like crap

ya all i did was tie the two valve cover breathers together to one filter, rather then having them return back into the engine via the air intake box.

now about the PCV system, can someone please circle in my picture what this is.

Thanks,

Shean

look at the back of the intake man. There will be a black 5/8 hose going to a fitting that screws into your intake. Thats the PCV valve

all the system is basically is a hose coming off each cam case runs into the airbox, one hose gets vented into the airbox its self and hte other one gets blown back into the intake.

What you'd want to do is run a oil vapor separator from BOTH sides into a T and then have that going to the PCV valve. That shoudl work fine. It would still get its suction from the intake so I dont see why it wouldnt work...

What they are saying is you can just have both going to a filter because thats basically completely bypassing the PCV valve. having them both going to a filter like that makes it so the air from the crankcase cannot escape the filter

so what, run one hose from, lets say driver side valve cover, the valve cover into the intake where that fitting is that screws into the intake. then just use that filter i just picked up on the passenger side valve cover??

can someone draw me a picture in paint or soemthing, im a total retard.

thanks for pointing that out and for the picture i talked with Torxxx, and he helps me out alot, and what i decided on doing was to was to just take off that filter i put on and tie that third side of the T into the PCV hose that goes into the intake and that should work.

i would prefer to not recycle that junk back into the engine and have it hooked some how to a filter or something then back into he engine, but if you guys say so, then ill toss the filter tomarrow and hook the PCV hose to my crank case settup.

ha ha, we must look like a bunch of first-graders!

That's basically the same thing. The only thing I'm not sure about is exactly what that little fitting is that the drivers side line goes to in the stock setup. I would guess some sort of regulator that lets filtered air in under certain conditions but not others. I'll try to look at mine tomorrow and see what it does.

who gives a dam, im 17 and cant draw worth crap but i can fabricate anything.

anyways, because the PCV hose is constant vacume it is close to the driver side vent so it would pull more from that then it would pull in clean air, then the passenger sice would be mainly clean air.

because of the difference of tube length.

Some info that I didn't really see posted elsewhere.

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation

The idea is that air will enter one valve cover, flow through the crankcase, and exit the opposite valve cover, go up the hose, through the PCV valve, and into the intake, where it gets burned.

As the air passes through the crankcase, it picks up the fumes from the oil and the gas which has blown past the rings, as well as any candensation that might have accumulated in the pan. This helps keep the oil from getting diluted as fast, as well as burns up these vapors, instead of venting them to the atmosphere.

So, in your drawing, remove both of your T's, put your little air filter directly on the passenger side valve cover, and run a hose from the driver's side valve cover directly to the PCV valve. PCV valve looks like an ordinary metal hose barb, sticking out of the intake manifold.

This is basically the same route as the factory system, although some Subs have a "Secondary air filter" or other junk somehow involved...

Out of the 20 some Subs my famiy owns, not a single one is the same under the hood. Even if they are the same year and model. One will have California emissions, one will have been modified for high altitudes, or something...It's kind of frustrating when you can't compare 2 of them, since no 2 are alike.

RedLance

"Rallyruss take your hippie bull**** somewhere else.."

You know, everyone is entitled to their opinion without being flamed. I think that just tearing off emissions equipment to make it look cleaner sucks, like Rallyruss said. And we don't have emissions testing here in the southern Willamette valley. Hope you aren't moving to an area that has testing, brah!

Of course, if the mods don't increase emissions appreciably and you get more power, I'm all for it!

And no, I'm not a hippie - I just don't like to sleep where I take a sh*t.

well im with Torxxx, i was not asking for an opinion on your views on to do it or not, but rather and how to hook up the PCV system, i was asking a technical question not one for an opinion.

and when you stip emissions you gain power because there is less things pulling vacume here, and recirculating hot exhaust there, that it keeps the temperature down in the intake charge.

thanks scooby.

partsman - I believe I said that cars will still pass IM with the stuff removed. There are board members who've done it. And damn us to hell for wanting to make our engines look cleaner.

I dont see you bitching everyone out that has a weber on their soobs.

And if someone wants to post something about about saving the enviroement, take it to the off topic.

Me and Scooby didnt ask what other people think about the Emissions Control systems and how bad it is to remove them. We were discussing modifying something