Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weird rattling noise: i think exhaust

hey, i have a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.8 liter V-6. i recently gutted out the catalytic converter cause it was sooo plug, it could barely accelerate and was costing me mileage. the old housing for the cat is still there (which i believe the rattling noise might be coming from) but it didnt rattle before. my dad has 1996 Plymouth grand voyage with a 3.3 (the p.o.s. motor) and the exhaust makes the same noise, and he still has the cat in his exhaust. i have checked everything on the whole exhaust system and im coming up with no answers. i have tried asking every one i could think of but no one else could figure it out. ("everyone i could think of" probably amounts to about 10 people cause i dont really know many people or have many friends.)

Heat shields.

When cold bang the cat with your fist. Dont break your fist,

If the cat rattles it is done.

Gte yourself a vacume gauge. Why no one uses this is beyond me. it will tell you if the cat is clogged .

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/vac/uum.htm

i have used a vacuum gauge and according to the guage everything is perfect. plus, i did mention that i have gutted out the cat already cause it was starting to clog. im pretty sure it might be the heat sheilds. i'll have to check.

Either heat shields or left over bits of cat, a friend's car had the entire cat disintegrate and we spent hours trying to figure out the source with a stethoscope, and were thrilled when we found out it wasn't the bottom end of the engine that was the source of the rattle.

i have used a vacuum gauge and according to the guage everything is perfect. plus, i did mention that i have gutted out the cat already cause it was starting to clog. im pretty sure it might be the heat sheilds. i'll have to check.

Which car are we talking about, now I am confused...

Which car are we talking about, now I am confused...

lol. we are talking about my van. and the rattling is coming from the empty catalytic converter housing. i now am gonna have to cut out the empty housing and put in a straight pipe, or just deal with the rattling. if i turn my Subwoofers up, i cant hear it anyway. :grin: