Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brought home another one...

I also didn't think those ea82t's were that bad till I got the one I have me and a friend only paid 150 for it and knew it didn't run but thought it might be fixable but it literally blew up theres a hole in the block and oil coolant every were. but atleast it has alot of parts we can both use. and I think Im going to swap a EJ engine into it.

Beg to differ had all the wiring ran out and running good within a week more like 5 days at the most

You don't understand how I do stuff. I am very particular. But you have to be if you want it to last and be reliable. I'm not putting in an EJ without a steam clean/reseal/t-belt, etc. It's about a day or more (assuming you have everything on hand) to prep the EJ. Stripping, modifying/soldering, labeling, and rewraping the harness is another couple days. Then preparing the car to install the harness is at least a day - finding all the tie-in wires and properly soldering/extending to the location of the EJ ECU, etc...... That's easily a week before I even take the EA off the road and pull the stock engine out. Add performance cams or special engine work and the days just keep climbing.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

You seem to be really anal about doing everything the correct way. If i drive my wagon out and book a hotel room wanna swap an EJ for me??? :grin:

I dont know how good my mechanic is with wiring but ill trust him to get it done decently quick(well, like a week or two is quick enough). He's got a lot of wrenching experience on high end cars, so i assume swapping in an NA Subaru engine shouldnt be bad for him. The mechanical part should be fine, i think we could rip the engine apart and reseal the whole thing in a matter of hours. In a decent days work we could probably have the donor car stripped to what pieces we need. Spend another day stripping my car of the engine and everything and were already looking at 3ish days just preparing for the swap. Next, factor in a day or three for wiring the base stuff up into the loom and thats already a week down almost. After all that we got the troubleshooting if **** doesnt work. THATS the part i cant stand.

His current "higher end" resume that I know of (and he's done a lot more than what i know!) is: rebuilt a naturally aspirated Supra into a 500hp boosted monster, basically rebuilt every inch of his Miata from the ground up, owns an M5 and 3 series for daily drivers, is rebuilding/restoring his old GMC truck from scratch with a V8 S10 everything, and he's ripped apart his buddies '05 STI engine more than he cares to think about.

Heh - It's the wireing part that get's most people - there's about 75 wires that go into the EJ ECU and there's no way to do it if you can't read a schematic. Plus there is a couple areas where a LOT of wires have to be shortened/lenghened and then there's the SMJ that needs to be removed by cutting and solding all the wires on either side of it..... so unless you pay to have the harness done for you, all of this has to be accomplished before you can even start to hook things up. Paying to have the harness done for you is cheating for the purposes of this discussion and also doesn't really give you the inside look at how the harness works - it's very valuable from a troubleshooting standpoint to have built your own harness.

I haven't kept track but I know I've seen at least a dozen EJ swaps that got no farther than having *most* of the mechanical part done. That's the easy part. Of the EJ swaps I've seen only a small number are running without Check Engine Lights (if they even have one) and wireing rats nests shoved into the spare tire area or under the dash.

The level of professionalism just isn't there for most of them. Thus why I say it takes more than a week unless you've got some kind of assembly line going and have done dozens of them so you have a procedure and a parts list for every possible combination. Each car/donor combo is a little different as wire colors and connector locations changed from year to year and then you have the OBD-1 / OBD-II differences.... there are many compounding factors that make each one unique.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Unless I'm missing something, the car is running well right now? So with a little work (hoses, all of them) it could be kept that way, no? I wouldn't be all doom and gloom when it isn't broken yet. You don't need a bigger radiator, you need a better coolant temp gauge. If it's getting hot, back off on the throttle.