Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 3door Runabout:FWD<FT4WD, 4 lug<5lug, EA82 carb<EJ22 or ER27 swap, rust removal

MilesFox

looks very nice! may i ask what you used for a welder or technique to get such pretty beads. I have work yet to do to the rear rollpan seams where they meet the quarter panel, and the wheel arch lips. I would like to do as nice a weld as possible to use the least or no amount of bondo possible.

I would use quick-steel or something similar if i had to fill metal.

I would like to see more of your work, and you are welcome to post in my thread!

Thanks Miles,

The welder is a lincoln sp175t. The biggest thing for minimal clean welds on sheet metal is haveing a welder that runs shielding gas. that allows you to see what the weld pool is doing. then run it as hot as you are able so every time you start its a nice small weld. you have to start and stop alot but that is necessary for sheet metal anyway to prevent warpage.

The patches in the picture are all overlap and outside of the body so it wouldnt be ideal for a smooth finish. its a little cruder but much faster. To have a perfectly flush finish that wont require bondo you need a patch that perfectly matches the hole you cut out and no warpage. even better would be to use a flange crimping tool that gives a backing for the weld.

Here are a few from last fall. stitch welding, chassis reenforcement and paint.

Picture354.jpg

Picture357.jpg

one from tonight with the motor in.

soob.jpg

If we ever have a chance to meet up youll have to re-sign the back of the car.

Sam

Sure Thing! I can even have a sticker for you...

Did you have to repair the framerails underneath? this is my biggest problem on this whole car......

Today i busted down the xt6 crossmember to use in my 3door with xt6 control arms, swaybar, and 91 turbo legacy steering rack.

compared to the FWD 1986 crossmember, the xt6 has t holes versus one, either for right hand drive, and also for the fitment of the P/S lines. on the xt6, they run along the top of the crossmember, whereas on the 91 steering rack, the fittings come u thru the 2nd hole. I have seen where others had to make the hole to use impreza or legacy steering rack in an ea82.

With this, i have a question regarding the xt6 steering rack: Will an xt6 steering rack be compatible with ATF for steering fluid, being that the original fluid is the gold cybris stuff? i can go both ways, depending on if the xt6 will work with atf, and if on ehas an advantage over the other with steering ratios.

I am also aware that i am going to have to drill holes in the xt6 crossmember because they are spaced farther apart. the motor mount holes seem to be in the same place, but have more flat area for a larger mount.

I am also still on the fence between using an ej22 or an er27. the er27 i already have, but need to figure out of a p/s pump can fit on it, or i am forced to use cybrid, as long as the firewall can fit the pump.

I am also planning to use 91 legacy turbo front rotors and calipers on the xt6 knuckle. I will lose my parking brake, though. I also am aware that the xt6 caliper will fit the turbo rotors, if i decide to keep it. Maybe i will go xt6 caliper for now, until i can retrofit a rear parking brake, of go with a hydraulic handbrake(if it can be used for parking) or maybe even modify the hill holder as a hydraulic rear parking brake

IMG_20110406_195854.jpg

IMG_20110406_195909.jpg

IMG_20110406_195954.jpg

IMG_20110406_200052.jpg

I also noticed it's possible to double up the trans mounts, using the ones form the FWD on the front part of the crossmember of the xt6 trans

IMG_20110406_200136.jpg

IMG_20110406_195930.jpg

You can use ATF in the Cybrid System. Someone on the XT6 site has been running it for a year or two with no issues.

I tried using the XT6 crossmember in the '88 Wagon. I did have to drill mount holes as you mentioned.

I flipped the EA82 one over ontop of the XT6 one, aligned the lower control arm pivot points and the holes for mounting to the frame rails, then drilled the others.

After getting everything bolted into the Wagon, I discovered that the slots for the motor mounts were to far forward. Didn't dive into checking out things any further and swapped the XT6 rack and LCA's over to the EA82 member.

When I was doing all of this work, I was sortta pressed for time to get the Wagon drivable. That was main reason for not digging into why/what was issue with the XT6 crossmember.

Now, the project is "On Hold" and I would have the time to do so, but engine is in now and I don't feel like pulling it all out now.

My frame rails are pretty good, no repairs needed so far. floor pan in general is also pretty good.

The areas I have repaired are the windshield channel, cowl below the ws, some in the spare tire area and what I mentioned before. my doors were and hatch and front fenders were junk also but have been replaced. err.. just remembered my carrier bearing mount totally rusted away and had to be rebuilt lol.

I have a little in my rear wheel arch/flare also but Im gonna leave that alone till after my 5 lug swap. I may put different flares on it for wider tires. Im gonna try to put ALOT of power to the ground.

I have had alot of fun with this car and hope to be able to enjoy it alot more in the future.

Sam

Fox, I need to get back down by ya something this weekend and see whats going on with the 3-door

1. Towing cars

2. unrusting the 3door

3. cleaning up and piecing together xt6 parts for swap

probably sunday

1. Towing cars

2. unrusting the 3door

3. cleaning up and piecing together xt6 parts for swap

probably sunday

Alright, I should be able to come over Sunday, since later that night I'ma swing over to Dan's and check out some Legacy with'em.

Thanks Mr Loyale. I cant wait to put some proper suspension under it and learn how to drive this thing all over again. Im looking forward to putting in a front lsd someday.

Any updates miles? this is seriously inspiring. maybe some back story on the garage o soobs?

Heres a few of the windshield area repairs. seriously annoying.

DSC02630.jpg

DSC02629.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

I dont have any of the after but I cut out the lower left and right corners and put new metal in.

Sam

Number 1 lead to cracked winshields is having rust forum in the window seat.

I guess there is an update to the 3-Door, we just went and picked up a '96 Brighton 5spd which Might get swapped into the 3-door along with the an Duel-Port EJ22 - unless Fox goes with the XT6 5spd with Center Diff Lock.

You can see the Brighton in the Subaru Alliance Shopday #12-14 videos on youtube.

Thanks Mr Loyale. I cant wait to put some proper suspension under it and learn how to drive this thing all over again. Im looking forward to putting in a front lsd someday.

Any updates miles? this is seriously inspiring. maybe some back story on the garage o soobs?

Heres a few of the windshield area repairs. seriously annoying.

DSC02630.jpg

DSC02629.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

I dont have any of the after but I cut out the lower left and right corners and put new metal in.

Sam

I have the whole crossmember out of the car, i decided to go with the xt6 member and use a 91 turbo legacy rack, as it wont fit on the fwd(manual rack) crossmember.

I discovered my paint code, and am going to have a coatings supply mix me real automotive paint into aerosol cans to re-paint my repairs. you have to buy the whole quart, hence the 3 cans for aerosol. this would be enough to re-do the roof and parts of the car that have bad clearcoating.

I have the whole crossmember out of the car, i decided to go with the xt6 member and use a 91 turbo legacy rack, as it wont fit on the fwd(manual rack) crossmember.

I discovered my paint code, and am going to have a coatings supply mix me real automotive paint into aerosol cans to re-paint my repairs. you have to buy the whole quart, hence the 3 cans for aerosol. this would be enough to re-do the roof and parts of the car that have bad clearcoating.

Totally go to NCS out on Beloit Rd. Its $60 for 3 cans mix factory color. That is where I am going to get mine when I can, and they also sell POR-15! :banana:

Yeah, that was the pace desmond went to, but i couldnt remember what it was called or where it was at.

s now i am out of money, as i spent my 60 bucks on re-instating my drivers license

Sell the Turdsmell for $350, take the trans outta that Brighton and then just part it out and be done with it :) Make some of your money back.

Sell the Turdsmell for $350, take the trans outta that Brighton and then just part it out and be done with it :) Make some of your money back.

then what do i drive?i already sold the u-haul and the camper. this leaves me with the GMC, and a truck that is not mine.

then what do i drive?i already sold the u-haul and the camper. this leaves me with the GMC, and a truck that is not mine.

Deebo Johnnys car for Rights of Subaruship and make him buy the Toyota cause the lifters don't tick in it and he won't think it needs a new engine.

Or

Take Desmonds Brat away from him since its doing no good, make HIM buy the Turd and make it a "Track Car" then slap the Brightons EJ22 into the Brat with the XT6 trans, drive that around while still having all the parts you need for the 3-Door plus $300 in your pocket.

BACK TO THE TOPIC, as I ain't trying to whore this thread up.

Major Surgery!

What in the world is the green car in the back round?

Ready to scrap it and take the tow truck to seatle for a 500$ rust free rx?

Keep hackin away at it and youll be done befor ya know it.

Sam

Major Surgery!

What in the world is the green car in the back round?

Ready to scrap it and take the tow truck to seatle for a 500$ rust free rx?

Keep hackin away at it and youll be done befor ya know it.

Sam

What sucks is I have a rust free 3-door shell that I'm going to be getting rid of here this summer.

Miles, do I hear a roadtrip to the NW again?:grin: