Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo wiring harness - GONE! help!

I finally got around to buying a new stereo for my 98 OB today. I bought the harness to make things super-easy. Took apart the necessary pieces to remove the bezel and discovered that one of the four screws that holds the out stereo bracket in place was missing. That wasn't a good sign because that means someone has had the radio out before this.

I pulled out the old radio to find that all the wires were crimped together with connectors instead of just using a harness. And since the stereo is a factory stereo, why is the harness missing at all??

I have a feeling they put in some nice stereo then had the original put back in just before they sold the car.

Anyway, now I'm screwed. I have no idea what's what. I can handle a simple install, but this has just become a nightmare for me.

Unusual problem. For a while I thought you should just return the radio to where you bought it, but when I re-read it a few times it dawned on me that you were talking about the existing radio in your car.

A couple of thoughts, see if you can find a similar model car at the junkyard and cut out the existing connector with about three inches of wiring behind it. Then you can re-install the factory connector by matching wire colors and butt-splicing them together. Then use the adapter harness that you bought with the new stereo.

If that doesn't work, find someone who has the wiring diagram for the radio for your model Subaru and then butt-splice the adapter harness directly into your car. Between the wiring diagram and the info with the adapter harness you should be able to get it working.

As to the missing screw, you should be able to find one in to match in the metric hardware section of any decent hardware store.

Good luck.

Edit: Bite the bullet and go back to where you bought the replacement stereo and pay them to install it.

A couple of thoughts, see if you can find a similar model car at the junkyard and cut out the existing connector with about three inches of wiring behind it. Then you can re-install the factory connector by matching wire colors and butt-splicing them together. Then use the adapter harness that you bought with the new stereo.

yeah, that's what I'd like to do. You can buy the radio side of the harness all day long, but where do you find the car side? It really annoys me that someone would cut the harness connector out instead of just buying the part they need. People are so impatient.

Oh what a freaking mess! I'm at my mechanic's house having everything cleaned up. There's an Alpine amp under the seat that I didn't even know was there. Totally rigged installation! I've never seen so many spliced-together wires before.

The nightmare will be over soon.

yeah, that's what I'd like to do. You can buy the radio side of the harness all day long, but where do you find the car side? It really annoys me that someone would cut the harness connector out instead of just buying the part they need. People are so impatient.
Especially since cutting out the original harness connector out will require butt splicing it into the new car. Actually more work than unplugging and getting a normal connector harness.

okay, it's all fixed up and good as new. That was the absolute WORST amp installation I've ever seen. So many wires, so many butts & wire nuts, and all different kinds of wires spliced together.

it's as close to being back to perfect as possible now. The new stereo (the double din JVC that Crutchfield insisted would NOT fit in my car) fits perfectly.