Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping a turbo 82 to a mpfi 82

Hi Gang

Im in the middle of stripping and fixing a turbo ea 82 (1988 spider manifold) that has blown head gaskets.

If i wanted to replace the motor with a mpfi 82 (1989 normal manifold). is it achievable.

I assume i have to replace the exhaust, computer plumbing to airbox. Is there anything else.

Can i use the spider manifold.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers Pete

Correct, you'll need the donor exhaust 'Y' pipe, the ECM and harness for it, airbox/ductwork and I believe you can use the spider intake. Something with the TPS (throttle position sensor) has to be rewired IIRC from what I've seen here. Something to do with the throttle stop portion of the sensor that tells the car when it's at idle.

Hi Gang

Im in the middle of stripping and fixing a turbo ea 82 (1988 spider manifold) that has blown head gaskets.

If i wanted to replace the motor with a mpfi 82 (1989 normal manifold). is it achievable.

I assume i have to replace the exhaust, computer plumbing to airbox. Is there anything else.

Can i use the spider manifold.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers Pete

hi, i switched a turbo engine to a mpfi engine ,I am still using the original intake and wiring and ecm that was with the turbo car. so i think you only need change the exhaust and a few things like vac hoses , air intake , and block off the water pipe from turbo on the intake. i have been driving this car as a DD for 2 yrs and the original ecm , afm, inj's, and stuff works just fine.

Edited by ruparts

well

i stripped the heads off the turbo.

First thing i find is the previous owner has tried to put chemi weld or some type of sealant through the motor before he sold it to me, most of the cooling system is nearly completely blocked. this was a overheat waiting to happen.

The bores are screwed, they are pitted and rusted. The motor got hot enough to actually miss shape the cam belt boxes they are all slightly melted.

So its put in the mpfi motor and out with the turbo.

I will have to see if the spider manifold will match up or its a standard mpfi for me lol.