Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cylinder misfire feel like a tranny issue?

My 02 Legacy GT has been feeling kind of sluggish lately in that it didn't seem to shift properly, especially when accellerating after slowing down. I never got a CEL for this, so a couple of weeks ago I starte by changing out the transmission fluid. It seemed to be a little better, but nothing outstanding. Then last night when I went to work, I had the same shifting issue and the CEL started blinking and went away. The car rode fine after the CEL went away. I parked the car and shut the engine and when I started her up again, the CEL light was on. I pulled the codes this morning and got a P0303 so I went to the dealer to get some ignition wires as I'll tune her up this weekend.

So, overall, can a misfiring engine feel like a transmission slippage issue?

I'll let you know how it turns out over the weekend.

Pete

Misfire causes the engine to not rev up properly, or hold speed properly, so the trany will shift back and forth to a lower and higher gear in the process. So, yea you could easily think there is a trany issue, when it is an engine problem.

Replace your plug wires, and maybe plugs too, if the code read out indicates a misfire.

My 02 Legacy GT has been feeling kind of sluggish lately in that it didn't seem to shift properly, especially when accellerating after slowing down. I never got a CEL for this, so a couple of weeks ago I starte by changing out the transmission fluid. It seemed to be a little better, but nothing outstanding. Then last night when I went to work, I had the same shifting issue and the CEL started blinking and went away. The car rode fine after the CEL went away. I parked the car and shut the engine and when I started her up again, the CEL light was on. I pulled the codes this morning and got a P0303 so I went to the dealer to get some ignition wires as I'll tune her up this weekend.

So, overall, can a misfiring engine feel like a transmission slippage issue?

I'll let you know how it turns out over the weekend.

Pete

Definitely. If you're having misfire, the engine is going to hang as though the transmission is slipping even though in actuality, cylinders are missing causing the lack of power you could perceive as slippage.

If the CEL throws an ignition code, I would most certainly address spark plugs/wires/fuel filter/injectors.

The only thing that may get upset is the cat, and that is if it is a constant missfire.

Check to see if there is oil on the spark plug boots, if so the bucket seals (from subaru only) will have to be replaced as that oil cause a missfire as it destroys the wires.

How many miles and when was the last tuneup?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same thing that would happen on my 95 legacy 2.2 but mine usually would only occur after it had rained or the baro presure had dropped. it would also normally do it when i first started in the morning and then go away when warm. inspected and found that the coil was discharging on the bottom to the intake causing it to be sluggish. now it runs like a dream.