Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 legacy outback vss code p0500

192k miles on mine.

Thanks, I was wondering because I have a friend with a gen 2 who just called me this morning asking about p0500... He has 201k, I wonder if it's common for this to happen around 200k? Never seen much of it before. hmm.

When it's not very bad YET, the CEL does come and go. If you watch the real-time coming from the obd2 port you can see it having a weak connection because it'll be reporting half your speed, or only 10mph, etc. Which doesn't cause a CEL, only when it drops to 0. But I can see that causing weird shifting issues with an automatic!!

But all the time the gauge sits there and works just fine.

I was on a 2000 mile road trip alone when mine starting acting up. That was really great :rolleyes: At least mine is a 5speed so no shifting issues.

Yep - exactly the same symptoms. Idle changes slightly and the shifting gets werid when the light is on - shifts perfect when it's off. It will be a few more days before I get the car back and have a chance to check this - things went south on a Plymouth timing belt job that it's a loaner for. Did the timing belt, etc - then when replacing the thermostat we found large amounts of oil in the coolant - upon further inspection the head gasket is definately blown..... so now I'm waiting on parts to repair that and the '96 GT is still on loan. :-\

GD

Yep - exactly the same symptoms. Idle changes slightly and the shifting gets werid when the light is on - shifts perfect when it's off. It will be a few more days before I get the car back and have a chance to check this - things went south on a Plymouth timing belt job that it's a loaner for. Did the timing belt, etc - then when replacing the thermostat we found large amounts of oil in the coolant - upon further inspection the head gasket is definately blown..... so now I'm waiting on parts to repair that and the '96 GT is still on loan. :-\

GD

I hate jobs that escalate like that ... I fix computers and the same type of thing is more common than I'd like.