Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is anyone interested in ea82t heads? tig repair, rebuilt heads

Hello folks,

I have 3 or 4 sets that I need to deal with, im not playing with that motor anymore.

I have some that are cracked and some not. If anyone wants em I will be welding up the cracked ones with my handy dandy tig!

I will be cleaning and inspecting them over the next week to see what I have to work with. pics and a fs thread are coming.

Sooo the question(s) is.. anyone interested or are they scrap!? Is anyone interested in having a set welded up? I can rebuild a set befor selling em, any interest there?

daft punk rocks.

that is all.

Sam

Haha ive been sitting on this stuff for awhile now just coulndt make up my mind what to do with it and it wasnt in the way.

coupla beat up blocks, coupla good turbos and exhaust manis. intakes, odds and ends.

I am playing with ej stuff now if you want to do some trading let me know.

I would like to see these heads put to good use.

Sam

My plan is to un-siamese the exhaust side of the head. I will either do this via a lot of welding, or by making an exhaust flange with a biscuit that sticks into the exhaust port. Either way, maintaining the proper cross sections on the port is going to require adding some aluminum to the casting.

I was just thinking about it on the way into work today and no matter which route I go, I can make a exhaust stub that changes the new port to an EJ flange pattern so I can just use EJ headers (sectioned to fit obviously). This flange will allow me to equalize the runner lengths also, which makes the rest of the header design (be it turbo or NA) much much simpler. If that doesn't work I thought of another trick that will.

My theory is that un-siamese the exhaust side and running the appropriate diameter primaries to keep velocities up will massively increase scavenging which will have a very positive knock on effect for overall volumetric efficiency. We're talking a set of headers that would make an NA MPFI very close in power to a stock EA82T (without all the problems of the T or the weight of an EJ) I also think it would be cool to have an EA engine that doesn't have that broken unequal length Subaru sound. If it worked out, it'd be applicable to EA81 exhaust too.

I have some SPFI heads I can/will use for welding practice, but in the final application, the benefits are really only going to be realized on an MPFI engine that can breathe into the higher end of the rev range.

Edited by Tycho

Yeah it might be interesting. I have an EG33 that I yanked from an SVX parts car a friend and I bought years ago. It's been honed, decked, and has a pair of heads with freshly cut valve seats and a fresh surface along with 24 freshly cut valves ... but all the parts are still sitting in the big box I picked up at the machine shop years ago.

Was thinking of dropping that in the sedan, but the EA82T is way lighter, and the one I've put together is really running quite well. I think there are some little areas to unlock that will yield reasonable power gains and make the car run more reliably with better mileage at the same time, so why not give it a shot?

Plus I'm trying to talk a buddy of mine into building a Locost with the EG33 paired to a 5MT with an OBX diff stuffed in it for good measure. Surely that'd be a better use than a rusty '85 sedan.

Here is a thread I did a while ago, may help you with your modifactions...

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15810

I reckon the way to go would be to make an adapter for the bottom, with a splitter that extends up to the port divider and converts the 2" port to 2x 1.5" in the EJ pattern (as you mentioned). Unfortunately each heads divider casting seems to be unique (I have cut, drilled, chopped, opened about 7 EA82T heads) so the splitters would have to be individually fitted and gasket thickness allowed for.

Another option, which I also considered, is to cut a piece of 4mm Aluminium, fit it to the port divider and tack it in place with the tig at the flange face.

I considered doing this, as I just finished making some headers, but I decided to stay with single 2" pipes this time.

BTW, let me know how much you want for the heads, always looking for good ones, especially G3 ones...

Brilliant. Thanks for the pics. I have done 2 sets of EA82 heads (one MPFI one SPFI) and extensively worked the exhaust bowl/guide area. Interesting to see just how much it chokes things off! Shame you didn't get a cut showing the short turn radius of the exhaust port, but that's good stuff.

With the 4 mm aluminum plate idea, I had that also. With the right torch, you could weld the whole thing in. With no cooling jacket I'm not sure how it would hold up over time tho. But with a D and reverse D at the flange (a bisected O) you could take two exhaust pipes of the right diameter, hammer the adjacent sides flat, and weld them into an EA82 flange. This'd give you a nice smooth transition in shape from the D to the O in the primaries without too much complication. Alternately, you could bisect a section of pipe with a bandsaw and weld a thin piece of plate in there to get the bisection ... then neck it down to say a 1.5" secondary where your bisection ends. Would be equivalent of a really short primary, but still worlds better.

Thanks again for the pics!

Nice pics nncoolg.

Have you(or anyone else) put your pics to work?

Im up to 4 heads now, The rest are on motors I cant get too yet.

3rights and one left. The L is in good shape, 1 caracked, 1 cracked and repaired and 1 uncracked.

I scratched at the crack abit to make it more visible. the repaired head looks like an epoxy type product?

Sam

post-20888-136027645957_thumb.jpg

post-20888-13602764596_thumb.jpg