Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't help but ask this. I own a '95 legacy and '95 OBW. On the HVAC switches, there are lights underneath the buttons, but nothing behind them to show me what I'm pressing in the dark. Luckily, I've become accustomed to them by this time, but-

Is there any small chance I just have lights out, or was this one of the silliest oversights Subaru ever made?

I think it's ridiculous that they wouldn't light them up so you can actually see what you're doing. It was super nice of them to light up the defrost button in orange, but with everything else being green, it can be tricky when you're not used to them.

Yes, there are small light bulbs back there, 3 of them. 2 are short, 1 is long. The only place I know of to get them is at a dealer. Even so, they are not expensive, and it's an easy job at that. The only thing to remember is to take off your heater control cable. Remove it on the bottom end of the cable on the heater box, on the passenger side of the center console, under where your feet go.

I've recently had an issue with the bulbs on my 96. I didn't know there were a lot of threads about it till I just saw this one. Anyway, last week I pulled it apart and checked the bulbs, they were all fine. But one was really loose. What happened is the bulb just backed loose. I put all the bulbs back in nice and tight and it works fine again.

A very satisfying fix! Suggestions (from somewhat faded memory): Get the bulbs from Radio Shack--much cheaper than dealer. And disconnect the cable from the bottom--much easier than trying to un-attach from the top.

Good luck & have fun.

I actually prefer the dealer bulbs. I'm not much of an electrician, and can never get the colored rubbers off the old bulbs. All 3 bulbs at dealer IIR are under 20 bucks, come with the proper base, etc.

So I'd let your comfort level of electronics help you decide which bulbs.

Definately disconnect cable in pass footwell.

are all the bulbs from the dealer the same, or do you have to specify what the're for when you ask at the parts counter?

I'm asking because all of my HVAC lights, cruise control, mirrors, rear defroster, heated seats and windshield deicer are ALL out. One of these days I'm going to find the energy to take half the interior apart to fix them.

wow....

Well, most dealers will know exactly what you're talking about, it's very common. You need two 72351AC060, and one 72351AC051.

As for all the other lights out. The switches for heated seats and cruise can be taken apart, and have a very small bulb in them. But I really don't know that they are replaceable. As for your mirrors, check the fuse first. The mirrors are on the same fuse as the cig lighter, and that's a common fuse for people to blow.

What I am willing to bet the bulb is:

Radioshack part number is #7219 Micro Lamp. Comes in a package of 2.

I first experienced the crappy bulb problem on my old 2.5RS when the fog light indicator bulb in the button kicked the bucket.

This is a great DIY for anyone with an Impreza with a lot of habit holding true to the Legacy HVAC problem and shows excellent pictures of the bulbs and the leads that are on them.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t127068-diy-hazard-defrost-light-repair.html

wow....

Well, most dealers will know exactly what you're talking about, it's very common. You need two 72351AC060, and one 72351AC051.

bah! I should've known my good-for-nothing local Subaru dealer wouldn't have anything in stock. I ordered them for $3.99 each and I'll have them by Friday. Thanks for the numbers!

All the replies in this thread now have me wondering exactly what is supposed to light up in the first place. It also made me notice just how many lights were out.

All the whit parts in the hvac control, so the little icons. The fan knob, the red/blue heat indicator. All the buttons on the dash by the wheel, rear defrost, cruise, fog lights, etc. Seat heater switches should light up. The hazard button should.

That's all I can think off the top of my head...