Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX engine is a goin in woohoo...

the build time took awhile, since i had to swap intake manifolds, broke a vacuum sensor, etc, etc.. but after 3 days of screwin with it it went it.. heres a pic of my work area (not what i'd like to have, but i gotta use what i have..

107_0775.jpg

changed the t-belts, tentioner springs, oil pan gasket, turbo gaskets, intake gaskets, thermostat, water pump gasket, etc..

the cam seals and crank seals were in fine shape so i didn't mess with them..

heres my new motor

107_0776.jpg

and heres the lump of crap that came outa the RX.

107_0777.jpg

2 intake manifold bolts snapped off, all the vacuum/rubber lines on it were so brittle they fell off when i touched them, the turbo was shot (had so much bearing play the turbines were hitting the outer casing) and i could go on down the list.. this motor was a big lump thats going to hit the dumpster as soon as i get the gen 3 head off the pass side.. the turbo i'm keeping for a core, just in case...

more pics to come tomorrow.. the engine is acctually already in the car and sorta half ways dressed up.. just need to do a few finishing touches and then fire in the hole!

yeah, lots of it.. you can wiggle the shaft and the turbines will hit the outer casing.. and you can hear the bearings clink around.. its shot.. funny part was i only drove it a couple thousand miles before it blew the HG.. it was the drivers side rear cylinder that blew too btw.. so teh gen 1 head took a dookie me bets.. the turbo worked fine before it blew too thats another wierd part..

not a big deal though, i used the turbo thats got 300k on it from the wagon.. (it doesn't have any play at all) . so i've got it all under control.. i figure at some point when i manage to save the $$ its going to get a legacy turbo and an IC... :D