Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I started to try to change my timing belt by myself. After removing one side cover and seeing it is a good thing I am doing this now I tried to remove the second side cover. (90 legacy 2.2L) I found the two bottom bolts are just spinning. The bolt threads are molded into the plastic molding behind the cover. I dont know how to get the bolts to come out. Any help thanks. I have to have this put back together by tomorrow morning for work. Thanks again

This is common, first lube it with liquid wrench. After it sets for awhile, try using a pliers to put pressure on the sides of the insert. This might work, but if they are corroded, you will most likely end up pulling the insert out.

You can try driving it out from the back if you have access, otherwise just pry on both sides of the bolt.

You may be able to glue them back in, otherwise its the dealer or junk yard for a replacement. Good Luck

After removing all the bolts in the cover that didn't mess up I wedged a screwdriver in the crack between the covers and pried the insert out of the back cover. Then I used a pliars to hold the insert while unscrewing bolt out of insert. After all is done I used a 1/4-20 through bolt with a nut on the other side. Heck with buying new! I also trimmed the swollen rubber gaskets on timing cover for best fit.

Lefty 42303