Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 coolant leak between intake manifold and throttle body.

can you see exactly where it is? If not, you might look at the bypass (I think that's what it's called) hose that goes from the top of the water pump to a pipe that runs along the top of the block to the heater hose. I had this leaking in my 87 hatch, and it would dump a 1/3 of a gallon every time I'd shut it off. The hose is under the a/c compressor, but if you have a pressure tester and skinny arms, you can take off the fan guard and try to feel it.

As far as a gasket, I don't know. However, I don't see why it would leak there, not really a need for coolant in the tb, unless it is a pre-heater, but still. But, if you see the leak coming from there, I can't say it is not possible.

Good luck on getting that leak fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clarify......

You say 88 Hatch. If that were acurate, youd have a carb, not F.I with a throttle body.

Since you describe the "u shaped" gasket, I assume this car is F.I., which means it is probably a 3-door coupe. Not a true "hatchback"

You have a 3-door coupe, SPFI, EA82 engine.

an 88 "hatch" would be the older, early 80's bodty, and have an EA71 or EA81, with a carb.

• 2 months later...
yes there is a gasket that goes there its u shaped and coolent runs thro it to cool the intake manifold take it apart its easy and put in a new gasket it happend to me awhile back

Does a small coolant leak from the intake manifold considered as an emergency situation? I can't fix it now since my money is sort of on a leaky hose this week..:confused:

Edited by armandjones82

As long as you do not lose so much coolant you overheat. Keep the coolant up and you will get by. You will know the coolant is too low when the heater goes cold when driving, and you can add some before it overheats.

If the leak is profuse, you can just use water, and then replace with new coolant once you fix the leak