Ultimate Subaru Message Board

accel coils rule!

so, i was having trouble with my ea82, in my hatch, and couldnt quite figure it out. it was running real crappy at higher rpm, but good down low. so i figured it was my coil(new chrome accel). i pulled the coil wire completely off, and this accel coil is so powerfull, it jumped a spark out of the high tower insulator part, and all the way back to my coil mount. like 4 inches of hot blue spark. so i figured the coil is ok. i took off the disty cap, and i had no plunger, or spring in the top of the cap, so this coil was jumping an air gap more than 5 times the gap of a spark plug, before it even got to the plug. in short, crappy disty caps(and absentmindedness) suck! but accel coils rule!

i put an accel 8140 coil in the brat as part of its complete welcome-to-the-stable tuneup.. it runs sooo nice. it got 23.5mpg, first half tank highway, second half tank heavy city driving, right before the coil upgrade. i can't wait to put a 5 speed and a built EA81 in there :D