Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5mt d/r awd swap

crockettbrat

Hey all:

Getting bored so considering a d/r awd RX turbo transmission for my ej brat. Already done the 5mt swap and its fine but keep thinking about lowering it back down and street tires and awd.

I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trans at pnp last year!

Anyway I'm wondering if the gearing is the same or if I'd need the rear diff too. Is the trans the same length as the 5mt d/r from an ea82 car? Any info appreciated. Haven't been here in a while, but seems like USMB is still going strong.

For the record I've got 25k+ miles on my ej swap and its going strong. My winch and bumper were a bit too heavy and have been removed at this point. The front control arm bushings are worn out and probably need some wheel bearings, but the little beast rocks on.

Daniel

RX is turbo. so 25 spline axle stubs and 3.7 axle ratios.

I would highly recommend getting an EJ trans if you're going the street route. the RX gearing is awful, for every use (3.7 axle ratios means taller first gear than the 3.9 trans, but the .871 5th gear makes for awful freeway gears compared to the standard .780), as is the center diff.

the axles will be the hardest part, either way. Might as well cut 2" out of your driveshaft and fab up a crossmember for a much better AND more common transmission.

Hi This is Jerry, i have an 85 hatch back with the EJ 1.8 imperza 1993 with a 86 RX turbo 5 speed dual range tranny 3.70 gears. I also have rear disc and a VLSD. Running stock tires 185- 70R-13 for high way driving now i get 38.4 miles per gallon. When it warms up i have a few more things to do and i am sure i will get my 40 mpg. I really like my subie to each is own. Thanks Jerry

I have an '83 wagon with a built EA81 and an '87 RX/DR trans. I converted it to 3.9 ratio using parts from an XT6 trans and installed 23 spline front axle stubs while I was at it. It also has the CL diff hooked up and working. With 15" pugs this combination works pretty well on the street and in light snow. Serious off-roaders would probably also have swapped in the 1.59 low range from a D/R. I didn't want to push my luck with too many mods at once as this was my first custom Subaru trans so I left the low range 1.2 for now.

Good Luck! It sounds like a cool project.